Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Restriction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mylogicistechno

mylogicistechno

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

I work in the IT department at my school. We are currently looking for the best solution for a computer deployment request with specific requirements.

There will be one public account that will automatically log in. There are programs on the computer that will need internet access to operate and update. However, the user cannot be allowed to access the internet. What's the best way to restrict their access? Thanks.

Edit: This will only apply to two specific computers, not a roaming user profile. We've been toying with the idea of firewalls, etc. but would like more opinions or suggestions.

Edited by mylogicistechno, 11 April 2007 - 05:41 PM.

"My eyes divide the skies
as sirens sound in Heaven
My will brings down the moon
and shatters it to pieces"
Assemblage 23 - Divide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

I don't recall exactly what the settings are, but you can use the group policy editor to lock them out. I'll research it a little this evening

#3 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:09 AM

this article I found is actually the way I would have thought of doing this. By giving a fake IP (or localhost, 127.0.0.1) as the proxy server, you would effectively block internet access.

http://www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/restrictie11.htm

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

You could always alter the permissions of iexplorer.exe to deny access to the logon user account.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 mylogicistechno

mylogicistechno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

I don't recall exactly what the settings are, but you can use the group policy editor to lock them out. I'll research it a little this evening

Thanks! We've decided to run with this one, but the computer we were working on seems to have a bad hard drive so we can't quite tell how well it's working.
"My eyes divide the skies
as sirens sound in Heaven
My will brings down the moon
and shatters it to pieces"
Assemblage 23 - Divide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users