Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Changed The Folder Attribute To Not 'read Only'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 orbweb

orbweb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

I have some folder which, when i right click on them and change the attributes to not 'read only', and it follows by asking do you want all folders and subfolder included in this change, and I indicate yes. It then goes through the process of changing all the file attributes. When I again right click on the folder, it indicates that there are still read only files in the folder.

What's up with that? And, How do I fix it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

See if this helps:
How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Just curious orbweb -

which folders are you trying to change?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 orbweb

orbweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

This situation occures with any file I try, it doesn't matter whether it's a file I just created or one I copied of a cd rom.

The windows troubleshooting link was not at all helpfull. I am logged on as the admistrator with full priveledges (sp).

Any other ideas?

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:44 AM

Hey guys,

I am having the same problem with "C:\program files" . I have also followed this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549 with no avail.
Anything else one can do?

Thanks,

YoHi

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

Look under the Security tab under the folder properties & make sure you have full control checked off. You could try to add Administrator (use check names after) & giving it full control as well & see if that helps. Follow the link tg1911 gave above if the Security tab is not visible.

#7 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:40 AM

HI hillbillygreek,

unfortunately this did not work either. I am at the end of my wits. I also tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874 to no avail.
If I set "Program files" read-only tag to not be set (remove the check so to say), it runs it on all subfolders (says that adobe acrobat reader is locked and runs the rest of the drive fine. If I click "accept" and close and open the window again, its back to read-only. It does that to any folder I have tried.

Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#8 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

What is your reason for wanting to remove removing the Read-Only attributes from any folders?

You also mentioned Acrobat being locked. Could you elaborate on that please?

Edit: See if this helps any > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614

Edited by hillbillygreek, 10 July 2007 - 01:02 AM.

#9 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

hi hillbillygreek,

thanks for your reply. "Program Files" because the actual folder I want to work with, lies beneeth it (mIRC). I wanted to copy the whole folder and edit my login script, so that I can use mIRC with reduced amount of channels. Instead of installing it a second time, I thaught I do it that way. Since I am a stubborn fella, I now want to know why its read-only i/o just installing mIRC a second time lol :thumbsup:

I had tried that MS link before and just tried it again, but to no avail its not working. It says something about customized folders. I have not done this, but I do have TuneUP installed with a theme. I do not know if that counts the same tho.

Thanks,

Johannes

Posted Image

#10 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

OK. I'm out of ideas. Sorry I could not find anything else for you. If you solve this let us know.

It might be a safe bet not to make any changes with the entire Program Files folder, instead just make changes of any type with the specific folder/folders you want to work with. The Program Files folder contains some protected system files which should probably not be tampered with.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 10 July 2007 - 05:06 AM.

#11 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

yea I tried that too but wouldnt work either. Thanks for the try. I am kinda at the end of my wits too lol.
I ll give up for now. If I do find the solution, I ll post it here.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users