Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Using 99% Of Cpu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cnpalfrey

cnpalfrey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

I have a Dell Inspirion 8600 laptop with Windows XP Pro. Recently the computer started slowing down, when I looked at the task manager I saw that there was a process called svchost.exe using up 99% of the cpu. I know that svchost is supposed to be good but if it is using up so much cpu, it is more of a hinderence. I eneded the process and the machine works fine until I restart and svchost comes back up.

I took all nonessetials out of my startup via msconfig, ran a virsu scan, ran adaware and found a bunch of spyware, and emptied all the cookies and temporary files, but still have the svchost.exe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Boxers

Boxers

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

My toshiba sat. was operating the same way. I found it was caused by a conflict with an upgrade to my anti-virus program (Bullguard) and some programs on my cpu. I unistalled the anti-virus and reinstalled after cleaning the hardrive and all is well.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,704 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

Welcome to BC cnpalfrey :thumbsup:

I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. I realize that you have probably done some of this, but it won't hurt to repeat them. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:27 AM

You need to find out what's running under the svchost.

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:41 AM

I took all nonessetials out of my startup via msconfig

MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs. Further, msconfig does not allow you to completely remove an entry from the list. You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to a running service. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to start your computer. You should only disable services using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users