Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Xp?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TehWabbit

TehWabbit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

Some info before i begin:

EDIT: I read the terms of posting and theres more than one prob here as i believe they're all linked.

totally fresh reinstall with no malware, virus' , adware etc (scanned with several programs)

Right... as mentioned above i reinstalled XP onto the same HDD (totally wiped beforehand) and since then ive had a few probs, one of which was to do with networking and it wouldnt let me view my connections, but thats fixed.

The problems outstanding are:

- An error saying something along the lines of "Generic host proccess win32" when i startup and then it says this program has to close (error report) [note: i did see this on this forum and installed something off the MS knowledge DB but this didnt work]

- sometimes out of the blue my start bar will go from Royale theme to classic windows. god knows why. like i said... no malware or anything! also.. while on the topic of start bar, the language bar keeps coming back no matter how many times i click disable in the "toolbars" menu.

- Windows update : Gets to IE, does the scanning animation (green bar) and doesnt advance any further. Auto updates are on

- im using sound built onto my mobo and used the mobo disc to install the drivers (Realtek ac'97) and have installed it fine. I can play sounds play games great.. but then it decides it doesnt wanna play sounds afterall.. and when i try to play media it says something about not having a sound device, (or when i click the volume icon in systray it says something about i cannot use the mixer as i have no sound devices") This is SOMETIMES after the generic host error. sometimes it just ends... but the weirdest thing is... THE MESSAGEBOX ALERTS HAVE SOUND!! so it IS reading the soundcard... you can see why im getting confused here?
SOLVED

Sorry about all the problems :thumbsup: im normally really good with computers but this one has me stuck... you dont have to tell me how to fix all the problems, just one or two would be good enough!

if you need anything else such as hijackthis logs etc just say.

Thanks- Rich

Edited by TehWabbit, 12 April 2007 - 06:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

Im just taking a shot in the dark here, but it sounds like a bad hard drive.

But then, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Is this a burned copy of XP?

#3 TehWabbit

TehWabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

mm that could be a point, it was playing up before the reformat...

What do you mean by Burned copy? as in a copy of the orig? if so no.. tis a real retail copy.
The main problem is still the sound atm... its just annoying i have to keep reinstalling...

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

If you have another hard drive you could test in your box, that would be grand. These sorts of problems don't just happen on a fresh install.

Did you get any errors at all or anything saying that certain files could not be copied from the CD?

#5 TehWabbit

TehWabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

mmm this machine has two HDD's one for system and random crap like music, and the other for media and games.. so how much room does XP take? maybe i could put it on the second HDD... as long as it wont wipe whats on there?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

As far as sound goes. Do you have Windows Auto-Update turned on or recently downloaded Windows Update? There was a update that messed up Realtek drivers. They released a patch yesterday(Tuesday). It's been recomended not to use the soundcard/motherboad site but go to Realtek's site to download new drivers
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 TehWabbit

TehWabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

As far as sound goes. Do you have Windows Auto-Update turned on or recently downloaded Windows Update? There was a update that messed up Realtek drivers. They released a patch yesterday(Tuesday). It's been recomended not to use the soundcard/motherboad site but go to Realtek's site to download new drivers
Mark

ohh! thanks... any chance of a link?, i downloaded that the other day and have auto updates on.

by the way.. the generic host error has gone :)i fixed that :thumbsup: if this sound one works its nearly all done!

#8 TehWabbit

TehWabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

ARGHHHHH the sound was working and start bar there and everything, then all of a sudden, generic host proccess error came back!! now its all messed up, might just require a restart, but whenever that error comes up = argh!

Any idea how i can fix the error?

Thanks for all thehelp so far, all my sound etc was working till that error!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:22 PM

I've searched a bit and found this. They're talking about a corrrupt Win update folder
Speedguide
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users