Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Skeetzy

Skeetzy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

Okay, to start it off, my computer was fine up until I bought Logitec's Wireless Keyboard/Mouse package. I installed them, but accidently closed the program that they run off of, so I restarted my computer. Well when it booted back up, it just froze. I couldn't do anything to make it go. So I went under the desk to push the button to make it restart, and accidently hit the power button on my battery pack, cutting the power. When I started the computer back up, it just does not stop resetting itself. Every now and then, I am able to get to the Blue screen of death, where it says unmountable_boot_volume, but thats occasionally. Instead of that, it just does not stop resetting once it flashes that screen. I do not know how to fix this. I will try to get the STOP code(the 000dfdx thing) if that helps.

ALSO: I do NOT have the Windows XP CD. I have no clue what happened to it. I do have a set of recovery disks, and a burned copy of Windows XP SP2. I put in the Windows XP SP2 disk to try to get it to boot from it, and couldnt get it to go, until once, and I have no clue how I did it. If it helps, i have a HP Pavilon a430n desktop. I called for support, but they want $50 to help me fix it =\.

THANKS AHEAD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

I don't know of any way to fix this without a boot disk. Sorry....you may be able to download a boot disk from someone else's comp.

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

Since you do have a burned copy though, try this...

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Try booting from the XP cd that you have just watch for the Press any key to boot from CD prompt. Once it starts you want to use racovery console and run fixboot, then fixmbr. These will rewrite a new master boot record and you should be good to go.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 Skeetzy

Skeetzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

Ill try to boot from the CD, but that's my problem, I never see anything that says "press any key to boot from CD". Also, I noticed when surfing through the few menus I have access too(OS select, Advanced Options) i can select Recovery Console, but if I do that, it just resets. Same with safe mode, use last working setting, start windows normally, etc.

Thanks for those above tips, I'm going to try them now

#6 Skeetzy

Skeetzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Yea, well I cant get it to boot from the CD. But I managed to grab teh Stop Code...

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81F7FBB8, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I tried to get into the Microsoft Recovery Console, and when I do that, I get the bar at the bottom that loads, but once it finishes loading, the computer resets itself or goes to the blue screen.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:57 PM

If you can get windows to boot, try uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard programs. Also, if you have any USB devices (like a USB external drive) plugged in, unplug it and reboot. Get your computer down to the bare minimum to ensure that it's nothing that's plugged in (seems odd, I know, but I had an external drive that was causing an "unmountable boot volume" error like yours...unplugged the drive and the error went away!).

If this fails, let us know and we'll go from there.....good luck! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Skeetzy

Skeetzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have NOTHING plugged in. Theres 3 plugs plugged in right now, the moniter, the keyboard, and the power cord. I have unplugged everything, speakers, microphone, mouse, everything but what needs to be used to fix it. And I can get to the Windows XP Loading screen, but once that finishes, the rebooting starts again...

#9 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

Did you hit like F9 or whatever to access the boot menu?

Or rearrange the boot options in Bios?

#10 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Double check your BIOS settings and make sure that boot from CD is the first option.
To get into the BIOS just watch for the SETUP = xx prompt when youstart your computer usually F2 or Del but it depends on the PC manufacturer.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#11 Skeetzy

Skeetzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Ok im setting it up to boot from CD now. I set it up so the CD drive that the CD is in is first out of the 2 and floppy, now I gotta find the option to make it Boot from CD.

Well cant get it to boot from the cd.

and im chatting with an online tech on how to boot from it now...

Edited by Skeetzy, 11 April 2007 - 03:03 PM.

#12 Skeetzy

Skeetzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

I tried quite a few things that the HP technician suggested, and to no prevail. I found out how to boot from the disk, but cannot do so. I can get into the following menus...

Boot menu(with my 4 possible places to boot from)
BIOS/Setup Menu
Advanced Options at the OS screen

And thats about it... someone please help!

#13 Christoph182

Christoph182

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

hey guys I have the same problem... expect when I get it to boot from the windows xp CD it goes to a screen and I can hit R to repair.. But as soon as I hit R to repair it says "setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer" and it just restarts/

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi Christoph182! Could you please start another thread for your issue? From the descriptions, it's uncertain as to exactly what Skeetzy's issue is - but yours is pretty clearly a bad hard drive.

When you start your thread, let us know the make of your hard drive and we'll be able to give you a link to the hard drive diagnostics that can confirm this.

Edited by usasma, 30 April 2007 - 06:54 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users