Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fried Mobo. Need Backup Advice.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Funksalad

Funksalad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

Long story short, I fried my Mobo and just ordered a replacement, but I don't quite know how to approach backing up my existing HD. I have XP installed on this SATA drive and a whole lot of data that I need. What would be the best approach to backing up this drive before I attempt to migrate it to the new motherboard? I realize that I need to reinstall Windows on the drive, but im hoping I can save some data in the meantime. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware rundown:

Fried Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
New Mobo (Hopefully shows up today) ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
RAM: 2bg Corsair
Vid Card: Evga 7900gs
Processor: AMD 64 4000+
HD's: 2 200gig SATA (XP on primary drive), 1 80gig IDE (Ubuntu), 1 80gig IDE

Edit: for specs.

Edited by Funksalad, 11 April 2007 - 09:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Since your motherboard is the only thing shot, your data on your hard drive is already as your backup. At this point, the only thing you could do now to back it up is to connect it to another computer as the slave, and either make an image of it, or at least do a full disk copy.

But, if you want to be able to take the hard drive you have now, and just plug it in, and maybe tweak a thing or two, then your only method is to get the same motherboard you had before. A similar model works sometimes. If you do that, you can set it up, and just plug your hard drive in, and you're computer is as if it never happened.

I've done a computer for someone in December 06, and I didn't think it would work. He wanted to take out a dvd drive in computer a, then put it in computer b. No problem there. Then he wanted the hard drive in computer a to be put in computer b as the master drive. I just knew that I would have to install the os over, because those two hard drives are coming out of two different computers. But, when I plugged the hard drive a into computer b, Windows XP loaded right up, and everything worked. I was surprised myself. But then as I took notice of the two computers, they both were Dell computers,.... two totally different computer models.

So, with that said, getting the same exact motherboard, B.I.O.S. I'm sure you'll just be able to plug in the hard drive, and then power up. The worst thing that could happen is that it won't load Windows. But your data will still be there, in tact.

If you can't get the same one, then you will need to find a storage method that will hold your hard drive worth of data before you can do anything, because you're more than likely are going to have to reinstall your os.

#3 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

Thanks a ton, Walkman. That summed up a lot for me.

I figure it's worth a shot just trying to boot up with it, the mobo's are somewhat similar. If not, installing XP on another drive isn't that big of a deal. It's the painstakingly slow process of transferring files that bugs me. :thumbsup:

#4 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

I'm also wondering if I should attempt to RMA the other Motherboard. I've never really RMA'd anything, so I don't know much about the process. I do know that the original A8N Sli Deluxe had an issue with the Northbridge fan failing, which I replaced, and now the board doesn't function. I'm pretty sure I fried the NB Chip, but chances are that would have happened anyways considering the original was faulty to begin with.

I'll probably give ASUS a ring today, although I know how horrendous their CS can be.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

You could hook up th HDD to the new motherboard and do a repair installation of XP.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

You could hook up th HDD to the new motherboard and do a repair installation of XP.

With zero risk of losing data?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

The few times that I have done this successfully, no data was lost. However, if the XP cd cannot find the installation that you wish to repair, you must shut down the installation, as XP wants to format the drive at this point.

If this happens, I would suggest an external enclosure, attaching the drive to another computer and using that one to find all the data.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

The few times that I have done this successfully, no data was lost. However, if the XP cd cannot find the installation that you wish to repair, you must shut down the installation, as XP wants to format the drive at this point.

If this happens, I would suggest an external enclosure, attaching the drive to another computer and using that one to find all the data.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the replies! :thumbsup:

Any advice on the RMA situation?

Edited by Funksalad, 11 April 2007 - 02:42 PM.

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

On the RMA?...... if you haven't cracked the seal, you can send it back and get a replacement, refund, or whatever agreement you had with them. But with RMA's, you must contact them first, before sending in the merchandise.

If you did crack the seal, still send it back and tell them that you have the wrong motherboard. Don't fault them or yourself. Just say "It's the wrong one."

#10 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Well, I contacted them and they are going to let me RMA it. I'm just wondering if the addition of the passive heatsink will void the warranty or whatnot. I'm just going to leave the heatsink on it and sent it on in... hopefully they'll just replace it.

Edited by Funksalad, 11 April 2007 - 08:59 PM.

#11 chrispycrunchy86

chrispycrunchy86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

Wait a sec... I just spent $160 on a backup of my hardrive when my mobo was fried. but I could have backed it up onto my other pc?

OMG, what have I done... >_O

#12 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:13 AM

Well, if you bought an enclosure or it was external then yes.

The windows repair worked fine for me.

I'm still wondering if I should RMA this other board tho.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Funksalad

Funksalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:26 AM

That is assuming you have an XP disk...

I was more concerned with the backup of the old HD.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Well...yeah - you need an XP disk. You can always borrow a friends disk.

As for backing up your data I'm not sure if you have already sorted this out. You could get a USB caddy for the drive so you can use it as an external drive, or you could install it as a slave drive in another machine.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users