Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccapp.exe Norton Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nicsnow

nicsnow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

Hi, having recently had the pleasure of having to re-install Windows I keep getting an application error popping up that says ccapp.exe has failed to reference a particular file and will be closed. As far as I understand it this process is part of Norton's e-mail scanning tool. Trouble is it means continually rebooting to restart outlook and the e-mail function. The actual application error is "The instruction at "0x77fcb940" referenced memory at "0x5357416a". The memory could not be "written". Click OK etc etc. I've run a virus and spyware check (norton 2006 and spyware doctor) and also checked the windows registry (registryfix.exe). This is driving me nuts! Any ideas/clues/solutions/medication?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

I wish I had a fix for you other than to determine whether or not it is a virus, but I can offer a solution...loose the Norton! Go with something free like AVG for anti virus, Zone Alarm for a fire wall, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, and Asquared.

Norton does not play well with others, and is becoming a pain in the arse for many people.

If you are one of those people that believe that it isn't good unless you have to pay for it try Kaspersky, it has one of the best reputation currently.

Sorry I'm not much of a help with the problem itself.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 nicsnow

nicsnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

agreed - pain in butts alround - I'll chuck norton for a while and run with avg - used it in the past and seems to be OK - ta for that

#4 girijesh

girijesh

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:25 AM

Dear friend

"ccapp.exe" belongs to Norton AntiVirus, runs auto-protect and email checking facilities
If this file is corrupt then uninstall it and then reinstall it .
Avast tools are best foe system. I m using from last 1 year. :thumbsup:

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:45 AM

The best way to eliminate problems with Norton, is to use the removal tool, ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...a/removal_tools
there are two listed, use the one for your OS. Once this has been run, restart the computer and use a different anti virus here is a list of what I consider to be the best: Nod32, Kapersky, Panda, Trend Micro, F Secure, Avast Free, AVG Free, Avira Free, Bitdefender, I am sure that I will miss some.

Edited by oldf@rt, 28 May 2007 - 01:49 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Marvin.1972

Marvin.1972

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

What if you disable the email scanning feature of Norton, while leaving the application itself running?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

What if you disable the email scanning feature of Norton, while leaving the application itself running?

Dont do that. To much chance of a virus getting in disguised in spam.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users