Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycle Bin Always Deletes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

I've had a new laptop for about a week and discovered that the Recycle Bin always deletes all files even though the "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin..." checkbox is unchecked. Since the is my electronic equivalent of my "circular file" (trash basket) I'm not a happy camper. Any ideas ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

Are you using any clean up programs like CCleaner? they can sometimes delete the contents of the bin, or can be set to do so.
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

This article might be of some help.

How the Recycle Bin Stores Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

What operating system? Vista ? XP2?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

BTW, I'm running XP Pro SP2.
Budapest, that's an interesting MS note on how to repair the Recycle bin. I tried all methods, deleting the INFO or INFO2 filed in \Recycled, deleting the \Recycled folder completely and also recreating the Desktop.ini file. None has worked. I'm willing to try anything else at this point. Any other ideas ?

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

Have you tried this?

When deleted files are not showing up in the Recycle Bin at times the folder can also be missing under C:\Recycle Bin, if this is the case go to: Start/Run/CMD and type in: rd /s /q c:\recycled [reboot].

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:22 AM

Another thing you can try is Kelly's Korner.

#64 on the right.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

Oh well, nothing so far has worked. Once in a while some deleted files show up in the bin, but usually not.I can't find a pattern. I tried the Kelley's Korner .REG fix with no result.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

Hmm. Are the deleted files in question from the main C drive or are they from a flash drive/memory stick drive or a disk?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

The files were from the C: drive, though there are 2 partitions, but only a single recycle bin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users