Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

yeah, i have one of those "bundled copies" that won't pass the authentication test. grrrrrrrrr. and microsoft is offering to do me the favor of upgrading for a measly $168. HA! you would think, did they REALLY want all of us to have authentic copies, they'd make a decent offer on the upgrade...not like they're going broke anytime soon. it really galls me to have to pay for something i've already paid for.

anyway. i've been shopping the 'net, trying to find a decent price. would someone mind taking a quick look at this:

http://www.ivorcom.com/shopping/third_leve...;category_id=77

and telling me what "promo" means? i realize it stands for promotional...does this mean the copy will self-destruct after 30, 60, or 90 days??? the price seems awfully good...but i'm sure there's a reason for that. if it will do what i want it to...which is to validate my copy of xp (which, b/t/w, is 2002, and has the sp2 pkg), then i truly see no reason to pay anymore than i absolutely have to. this whole thing is just really, really p***ing me off! if i have to pay a bunch to make microsoft happy (which just does NOT seem to be my job!), then perhaps it's time to get a different browser. after all, since ms sure as hell isn't trying to keep me as a "satisfied customer"...why should i feel any loyalty to THEM???

let me know what you think!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

What does this mean....

****This software is a full version Windows XP Pro. It is not intended for commercial use; Home and student media****

You cannot use it at all? Its supposed to sit on a shelf and collect dust?

I have only ever seen copies this cheap when they are OEM versions. (I.E. HP, Dell, etc.)

Oh, by the way...when you say bundled copy, you mean OEM version? Did you reformat or what?

Edited by jwinathome, 11 April 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#3 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

If it came as a software bundle with your computer, I'd be contacting whoever sold you that computer and make them pay for the full version.

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

i'd love to do that, however, just over a year ago they closed up shop. i knew the owners, they've retired. can't say as i blame them, they were in their mid 60's when i bought my puter. it was a reputable place here in santa fe, well known, good sized...i don't think they meant any dishonesty. however, the fact remains, they're gone and i'm stuck.

about 6 mos after i bought the puter, i had a nasty virus...i called the 800 ms number and was told that "bundled versions carry no warranty or protection" (mind you, i was told worse by norton...and i'd paid for a full version of their software!). aggravation notwithstanding, all that trouble at least led me here, where i've been a happy (if not regular) member ever since!

as to the "not for commercial use"...i have no intention of using it commercially, only at home. and it does say authentic MS version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users