Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought New Laptop, Was Not Given Vista Cd

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:02 AM

:huh:

Bought a new Sony laptop with Vista Business loaded, I was not given the backup CD with the sale.
The salesperson told me that all new systems sold now do not include the O/S CD, is this true?
I do have the product key, would I need to go to the MS downloads site to burn a copy?
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:07 AM

Your computer might have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive instead of a recovery CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

Your computer might have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive instead of a recovery CD.

I sure hope that it does, does anyone know how I can check on this? :huh:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:34 AM

First thing I would do is to go to the Sony website and look up the specs for your model.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

Didn't that system come with any literature at all?

Usually, there's a "start here" manual of some sort that describles how to create a restore CD.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

Download Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
It will tell you the specs of your computer. Look for Local Drive Volumes.

If you have c: (NTFS) and d: (FAT32), then you have a recovery partition.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 sharger

sharger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi

I have just purchased a Vaio and what you have been told is correct. There is a hidden partition on your hard drive, and if you check your literature you are instructed to create a recovery disk set. :huh:

regards

Steve

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hi

I have just purchased a Vaio and what you have been told is correct. There is a hidden partition on your hard drive, and if you check your literature you are instructed to create a recovery disk set. :huh:

regards

Steve

Thanks Steve -

we appreciate that feedback.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

hi there,

new systems come with nothing these days, i got a new Acer desktop system in January 07 and all that was in the box was Tower, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers and a Works 8.5 CD and that was it, everything else was in the system including the manual. How crap.

This is mainly becuause over time many lose all that. Though having a copy on a disc feels more secure to many including myself.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

The recovery stuff is hard to find on the VAIO's these days.

Open up Help and Support on the start menu.
In the window that opens, there'll be a backup and recovery thing in the upper right of the different icons - click on it.
In the next page that shows up, scroll down to the bottom and there'll be a link to the Sony recovery stuff and you can make recovery CD's from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

hehe i had to laugh at that usasma.......i contacted Acer with mine to do recovery discs and they say you can't burn them or something....so i hope Sony is better with that.....

I got all the drivers from there website and got a copy of Vista and installed it so if something were to happen like a hardrive failure at least i have something, although i could have done an image of my drive when i first got it but didn't have an external drive, and the programs don't do it on Discs (like the recovery ones)....

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

I'll have to look at the Acer's tomorrow. We just started carrying them when Vista launched - so I'm not real familiar with them.

The Sony thing took several days for 5 of us techs to figure it out - it was so frustrating because it wasn't in the Start menu - but we knew it was in there somewhere.

Have you tried checking the Acer for a hidden partition? I recall that our desktop Acer at work has a recovery partition on it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

i don't have a hidden partion now because installing vista (upgrading from XP MCE to HOME PREMIUM) destroyed it.....as it was purchased just before Vista, only because my old PC gave up a month to short.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Acers do have a recovery partition. when the machine is started for the first time, it will run the recovery utility and ask if you want to make the recovery disks. If this has been turned off, it will never ask again.

Here is a link to the e recovery manual:

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117...for%20%20DT.pdf

This is just for one model

If this is not yours, go here, and select the correct model:
http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...id=3425#results

Edited by oldf@rt, 11 April 2007 - 06:58 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

When i first used my PC it never asked to burn recovery disks.....even when you go into the eRecovery it always said that this service isn't available and when i contacted Acer about it they said that you can't burn recovery disks....this was for Aspire E700 Pentium D version with Media Center.......either that or they don't know what's wrong one or the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users