Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Set Up Good For The Price?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dragon18007

dragon18007

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Since gaming laptops are out the window now for me, I have been looking at pcspecialits.co.uk and made this up - I dont know anything about what the best processor is or fastest or what the best motherboard is so I just picked what seemed like the best going by price. I use computers for memory/processor hungry games and some video editing (but mostly games and I need one that will last me a good while)

Processor (CPU)
INTEL® Core 2 Extreme QX6700 (4 X 2.66GHz/1066MHz/8MB) - SO DOES THAT MAKE IT A 10.64GHZ??
Memory (RAM)
4096 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (4x1GB)
Motherboard
ASUS® STRIKER EXTREME: The ultimate gaming motherboard
Operating System
WINDOWS® VISTA Home Premium (inc Genuine CD & License) (£70)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
150GB WD RAPTOR SATA 16MB CACHE (10000rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
NONE
RAID (HDD 1 & 2)
NONE
1st CD/DVD Drive
20x DVD±RW/RAM/Dual Layer + Lightscribe (48 x CD-RW) (£17)
2nd CD/DVD Drive
NONE
Graphics Card
768MB GEFORCE 8800GTX PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
2nd Graphics Card
NONE - WOULD ADDING A SECOND GRAPHICS CARD (SAME AS ABOVE) MAKE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE?
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer 7.1: £47
Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (ETHERNET)
Floppy Disk Drive
NONE
Memory Card Reader
NONE
Case
RAIDMAX Sagitta Gaming Case: Blue LED/Acrylic Window (Sil/Bk) (£55)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
1000W Quiet Five Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£175)
Processor Cooling
ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT TRITIUM SUPER AERO COOLER (£44)
Firewire & Video Editing
2 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE ONBOARD (1 in back + 1 on board)
TV Card
NONE
Monitor
NONE
2nd Monitor
NONE
DVI Cable
NONE
Keyboard & Mouse
NONE
Mouse
NONE
Speakers
NONE
Printer
NONE
Surge Protection
NONE
Webcam & VoIP
NONE
Media Center Kit
NONE
Anti-Virus
NONE
Office Software
NONE
Warranty
1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1st Month Free Collect & Return
Delivery
Standard Insured Delivery to UK Mainland (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm) (Free)
Quantity

can someone explane to me what direct x 10 is? would this graphics card be good for that?

it comes to £2152. I wont be buying one anytime soon but I was really just wanting a cost so I know how much to save up. and would this set up last me at least another 5 years or so??

the PC i have the now is a P4 3.20Ghz 2.5GB Ram Ati 1950 512MB AGP graphics. ( Still works good but thought it might be time to upgrade??)

Im hoping to get a new computer sometime this year.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

That is an extremely powerful pc, from what I have seen around, that price is not too bad for a setup like that, but I would ask, is that kind of power really necessary? It will be a very long time before games need anywhere near that kind of power, and by then you will be in the need of another upgrade.

Although, if you have that kind of cash lying around, there are worse things you could do with it. :thumbsup:

Have you looked at alienware pcs? ( http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx ) They have similar specifications and, from what I have heard about them, are very good.
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:56 AM

Setup looks nice, although a little bit pricy.

Personally I would change the hard drive to two or three hdds (80G) setup in a RAID O I played a little at the web site, and came up about £500 less.

No, the processor is still only 2.66 ghz, it does not run faster just more efficiently

If you are careful you should be able to custom configure a machine with SLI for a little less, and be sure to use two identical cards. even with SLI you should only need a 700/750 watt power supply.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

You will be hard pressed to find any programs that can utilize a quad-core processor. The technology just hasn't been out long enough.

If you are bent on spending that much money, you may want to pony up for a storage HDD as well.

Also, that system is going to throw out some heat :thumbsup: . As such, you will want to look into expanding your case cooling. At least one front intake fan on the front, maybe another on the top/side should be included. Also, you can pick up an exhaust PCI cooling fan for small money that you can position to cool the GPU's.

That is one beast of a system :huh: .
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

All i have to say is you would not need any upgrades/new computer for like 5 years :thumbsup: . Still a quad-core processor might be a waste. If your willing to spend the money though go ahead. I would recommend getting the dual-core e6700 instead. With all that money you would save you could get another graphics card. I hear those direct x10 ATI cards coming out soon are suppose to be better.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

I hear those direct x10 ATI cards coming out soon are suppose to be better.

As will the next batch of Nvidie cards - the beat goes on!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

As will the next batch of Nvidie cards - the beat goes on!

Yup, wait a year or so and that set-up will be around £1000!!! :thumbsup:
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#8 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:51 PM

untill u can save enough to get that PC many better ones would have been released.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#9 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:02 AM

directX 10 is the new coding language that microsoft created to replace directX 9. as i understand it, they went through and removed a lot of old bloated code and replace it with much cleaner and newer code so game developers can be more creative and program less. it will allow for more graphically complex games with less work, basically.

unfortunately, directX 10 is a windows vista exclusive and it is tied to certain GPUs. it will not work at all on windows XP and it will not work at all on older graphics cards. the only directX 10 capable cards, at the moment, are the nvidia geforce 8800 series (the one you picked out is the current bleeding edge card). ATi is going to release their x2900 series hopefully in the next month or two and those will also be directX 10 capable. they will also be expensive, though.

as for how future proof your set up would be, no one can say for sure. at the moment that would be the most powerful computer anyone could buy (well, mostly). but in a year or two... who knows? directX 10 is very new and it appears nvidia is already working on their second batch of directX 10 cards, so the 8800 series could very well be outdated by the end of this year. the first directX 10 games will likely run very very very well on that set up, but as time progresses the requirements may steepen and that system could become lower high end or even mid-range. basically, no one knows but i would wager that in 5 years it will not be high end anymore. it will still be decent, but nowhere near bleeding edge.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

here is an interesting article about game developers on multi core:

http://news.com.com/Game+developers+adapt+...amp;tag=nl.e703
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic