Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Removing Msocache?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

I did what microsoft.com said and used the disk cleanup utility to attempt to remove the MSOCache folder; unfortunately it did not work. Is there an alternative way to remove it?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

From the Eldergeek.com:
"It's related to Microsoft Office 2003 and contains the install source files from the Microsoft Office 2003 installation CD. This is known as a Local Install Source so that you do not have to insert the CD during subsequent setup or repair procedures. A full description of the circumstances under which the folder is created and methods for removing it are in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 825933 Also, Frequently Asked Questions About the Local Install Source Feature has additional information"
Microsoft 1
Microsoft 2
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 10 April 2007 - 06:32 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

Moving is a different factor; can MSOCache be removed safely?

Edited by nyyanks, 10 April 2007 - 06:41 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

The answer was in the link. It was yes, but you might want to read the article
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

I apologize, but I still do not understand. From what I read, the article stated that MSOCache can be removed at the installation of Microsoft Office; obviously I did not remove it then. Furthermore, the article clearly states that MSOCache can be removed using the Disk Cleanup Utility. This did not work for me. It also says that MSOCache can be moved to a different drive; this is not my goal.

Please tell me what I am missing.

Edited by nyyanks, 11 April 2007 - 10:45 AM.

Albert Einstein

Not really!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

You need to download a tool from M$. Click on the first link I posted and then the second link on that page and scroll down. I think is was #4

"The recommended method for removing the Local Install Source feature from your hard disk drive is to use the Local Installation Source Tool to remove the files from the local hard disk drive. This tool is available from the Office Resource Kit located at the following Microsoft Web site:
[url="http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402361033.aspx""]http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/...1033.aspx"[/url]
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Perhaps you can help me with a different problem, as I do not think deleting MSOCache will be the answer. Whenever I try to open Registry Mechanic, this message appears (it was the free download from download.com):

Error 1311. Source file not found: C:\MSOCache\All Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9\L2561412.CAB.
Verify that the file exists and you can access it.

Am I missing something? I never touched the MSOCache folder before I used the Disk Cleanup utility, and this message appeared even before I used it.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

I think the easiest thing to do would be to uninstall Microsoft Office, using "Add/Remove programs" and then reinstall it. Preferably while in safemode, so nothing will have the chance to corrupt the installation
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

When I reinstall Microsoft Office, do you recommend that I delete the MSOCache folder during installation? Why or why not?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

I suggest leaving MS Office intact and uninstalling the free version of Registry Mechanic. Registry Mechanic has received poor reviews. What are you trying to accomplish with a registry repair utility?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

If you do not have the MS office cache on your computer and you need to repair the office software, you will need to use the office disk to do so. I say keep the office cache and ignore Registry Mechanic. Registry cleaners are notorious for saying that an entry is wrong or bad when it isn't. Users really need to know what the entries are and decide on case-by-case basis whether it really is a problem or not.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

I'll follow your advice and remove Registry Mechanic.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users