Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Floppy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hexon.Arq

Hexon.Arq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

I'm surprised at how unhelpful google can be at times.

Okay, I just bought a 10NRV A00 external floppy drive for my Dell Insp. 5M (don't laugh :thumbsup: ), and er uh, I don't know what to do with it :flowers: . Seeing as how there are no instructions online as to how to install these, I assume you just plug it into the parallel port and let 'er go, ne? Well, no go. (I got it off of eBay and am now fearing the worst.)

Any tips?
No, it's not like that. Really.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:32 AM

Have you tried the manufacturers website?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Hexon.Arq

Hexon.Arq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

Yep. I'm guessing this item is either really old or they've chosen to ignore it because I founf absolutely no info on it. Also, it seems they've beeen having trouble lately with their support.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:47 PM

Have you tried it with it plugged in when you restart the computer?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 Hexon.Arq

Hexon.Arq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:08 AM

Yes.

In Device Manager, the item "TapeDetection" appears under both "LPT1" and "Standard Floppy Disk Contoller", so obviously plugging the device in is registering in some way; I just can't get it to operate. I searched for both 10NRV-A00 and TapeDetection and found no drivers, yet D.M. has the gall to state that the device is working properly. Also of note is the fact that despite my now-absent internal drive, My Computer still displays an (A) drive, though I only encounter freezing when I press any farther, and on the same note, even after removing all but TapeDetection from SFDC, a restart renders "GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK".

Edited by Hexon.Arq, 14 January 2005 - 02:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users