Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormal Windows Processes (hijackthis Log)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ArcZero

ArcZero

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

I have recently notices some abnormal windows processes i have not seen before.

here is a Hijack this log.

Attached File  hijackthis_10_04_2007.log   4.11KB   12 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Hi ArcZero,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

Your log is clean. Frankly I am rather amazed to see this, because your machine is wide open to infection.

Here are the main problems:

I can see no evidence that you have any antivirus software installed. If this is the case, you need to install an antivirus program immediately. Please download one of these free programs:

AVG Free is available at this site.

Avast Home Edition is available here.

Avira AntiVir can be downloaded here.

I personally use AVG Free, but all these programs have good reputations. If you don't like one, you can try another. Please consult the help files or online support for information on installing, updating, and using the program.

Another issue is that I see no evidence of a firewall on your computer. It is important that you use a software firewall, to prevent unauthorised traffic both out of and into your computer. I recommend you download and install one of these excellent (and free) products:

Zone Alarm

Sygate

Outpost Firewall Free

Kerio personal firewall

For more information about firewalls, please read this tutorial.

And finally, your Windows installation is badly out of date. Microsoft does not support SP1 any more, and it has numerous security risks that have been exploited by malware writers.

Please go to this web page where you will find links to information on Service Pack 2 and ways to obtain it. Your basic options are either to download, which is practical if you have a high speed internet connection, or else to order the CD, which is free except for a shipping charge.

The Windows update is just as important as getting a firewall and Antivirus program installed. Until you get your operating system up to date, you could (for example) get an infection simply by visiting a malicious website -- you would not have to click on anything.

Please take care of these issues right away. Then run a fresh HijackThis scan and post the log to a reply here, and we'll look into your question of unneeded or unwanted processes.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users