Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-rootkit Program From Grisoft - Free!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Today, the Grisoft folks announced the release of their Anti-Rootkit program - h e r e .

From the press release:

Millburn, N.J. - April 10, 2007 GRISOFT, the developer of AVG Internet security software, today introduced a new, free product aimed at detection and removal of Rootkits. Rootkits are a specific malware type which hide in other applications or a computer's operating system kernel. This allows malicious applications to then collect passwords and sensitive data from the infected computer without user knowledge for personal information theft, spam relay and other criminal intents.

Full press release h e r e

If this works, it gets a :thumbsup: from me!

Edit - system requirements:

MS Windows 2000 (32-Bit) or MS Windows XP (32-Bit)

Edited by JohnWho, 10 April 2007 - 04:34 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

No Vista support though. :thumbsup:

No mention of it and when I d/l it the other day, nothing happened when I tired to run it.

Edited by evilmonkeyz, 11 April 2007 - 09:19 AM.

If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

That's odd -

I've run it on two different XP systems - home and pro - and it went through a scan on each of them.

Good news - it didn't find anything.

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Does the program run all the time like AVG Free? Or is it a thing that runs only when you actually run the program?

I'm just wondering if it puts anything on your computer that is always running in the background (like AVG Free does).

Any conflicts with also having AVG Free on the same system?

JohnWho
-- I've got the same scenario as you, it seems. AVG Free (current version) and ZA free (I have 7.0.302 version) on XP SP2 system. So it's been smooth sailing all the way for you with this so far?

Have any other experts in the forum checked this program out yet? Any opinions?

Anyone who's used it have any issues as of yet? (Since it's so new, there usually is someone who runs into some kind of issue with something... :flowers: ) Will probably wait for more feedback before downloading...

Sounds cool, though!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 12 April 2007 - 12:03 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

Does the program run all the time like AVG Free? Or is it a thing that runs only when you actually run the program?

I'm just wondering if it puts anything on your computer that is always running in the background (like AVG Free does).

Any conflicts with also having AVG Free on the same system?

JohnWho
-- I've got the same scenario as you, it seems. AVG Free (current version) and ZA free (I have 7.0.302 version) on XP SP2 system. So it's been smooth sailing all the way for you with this so far?

It does not run in background, and must be run manually. This is a drawback since it isn't providing continuous protection, but then it is free, and one more "tool in our bag" so to speak.

Otherwise, no problem so far, although I've only run it twice on each system.

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Cool -- thanks! I guess the other thing to keep an eye out for is a false positive or it seeing something as a rootkit that's not or something like that...?
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:10 AM

Any other users with experience using this so far?

It got a good user reviews from Softpedia, but a not so good one from here:

http://www.antirootkit.com/blog/2007/04/11...ee-the-verdict/

...though they just seem to think it should have found something it didn't -- not that it caused any problems/issues.

#8 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

I just installed it on my xp pro instalation and it ran well, fast, and gave an all clear, it seems like a good program to run from time to time.
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users