Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Won't Finish Dowloads.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 jstew_13

jstew_13

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

Recently, my computer will not finish downloading (for example an antivirus program) it downloads up to one second remaining and won't finish. In addition, I haven't been able to restart my computer (for example after I install Microsoft updates). What can I do to fix this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Which browser are you using?

And what do you mean you can't restart it?

Also the specs of your computer would be helpful.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 jstew_13

jstew_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

I'm using the latest Internet Explorer, Windows XP Professional.

Here are my specs:
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.26GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 399MB used, 849MB available

In addition to the computer not finishing downloads, I'm having trouble getting my computer to restart. For example, after I install Windows updates, I'm prompted to restart my computer. I hit restart nothing happens. Also, If I manually try to restart, start -> shutdown -> restart, my computer still won't restart. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

After you somehow restart your computer, do the same updates appear again? What updates are they, anyway?

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 jstew_13

jstew_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

I was just using that as an example of when I need to restart my computer. I was installing security updates, however when I was prompted to restart my computer to finish the installation process my computer won't restart. This also happens when I try to manually restart or shutdown my computer. I have to physically push the power button and hold it down for a few seconds in order to restart or shutdown my computer. I really don't understand the downloading problem either. I first noticed the problem when I was trying to install zone alarm personal firewall, and it to downloaded to 1 second remaining but wouldn't finish. The same thing happened again when I was trying to install AVG Internet security. I tried to remove what I may have installed, but couldn't find the programs anywhere on my pc. I don't know what’s going on but any help would be greatly appreciated.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hmm..sounds to me like you have some malware on your computer, or at least something thats not supposed to be there. :thumbsup:

Download and install HijackThis and post a log in HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum. Once you post a log, an HJT team member will review it and help you out. Be patient though, it might take a while because there are so few members and so many logs. Also, when posting the log, put the subject the same as this one and add in the subtitle about the restarting. The more information in the title, the response tends to be faster. Also, making a reference to the thread and providing a link will help the person helping you greatly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

NOTE: Please, do NOT post a HJT log in any other forum but the HJT logs and analysis forum.

#7 jstew_13

jstew_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for helping me out with this Yoda. Unfortunately, this now brings us back to the downloading problem. I tried to download hijackthis, however it will only download up to estimated time left: 1 second remaining (193KB of 275KB copied) and won't finish. Eventually, I go into task manager and end the task. I could let it sit there for 30 minutes + but it never finishes the download. So I don't know what else I can do.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

Can you download it to another computer (spare, friends, etc.), then transfer it to your computer, via a floppy, or CD?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

...I'm dumb...im so dumb, lol :thumbsup:

#10 jstew_13

jstew_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

Ok, I was able to save hijackthis to a cd and transfer it to my computer. I ran the app and now I'm going to post in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum. Hopefully there will be something there that solves my problems. Thanks for all of the help.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

You're welcome, jstew_13.
Good luck with the log.
I'm going to close this topic, since you have a log posted, to prevent additional suggestions, which you may be tempted to try.
Making any changes to your system at this point, could change the results of your posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.

If, after your log has been cleaned, and you're still having these problems, just PM a Moderator, and we will re-open this topic.

Edited by tg1911, 12 April 2007 - 03:10 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users