Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Really Need A New Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unnnies

unnnies

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

I have a HP Paviliondv1000 notebook.

About two weeks ago I turned it on and I received the following message:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM

I looked for information online before i took it to Circuit City (I have it under warranty there), however before I left I tried to start the computer one last time and it worked totally fine. After I used the notebook a few more times the message came back and would not go away so I did take it in to have one of Circuit City's techs take a look at it. The guy turned it on, read the message, and said I would have to send it in for a new hard drive. He didnít even ask me any questions before coming to this conclusion.

After poking around online some more, it seemed to me that this was not the solution to the problem. I donít know a whole lot about computes but if someone knows how to fix this and could give me directions I might attempt it myself. I just donít want to be without my notebook for weeks and lose all my school work, pictures, and music. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any advice you have. Peace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Can you get into the BIOS?, if so there is a diagnostics program built in to test the hard drive. Try to run this if you can.

PXE failure: network boot failure from the PXE server, there is no network cable attached. Since the bios is not detecting the HDD, it is trying to boot through the network adapter.

Sure looks like that technician is correct, your HDD has failed. Contact HP after you have run the built in diagnostics.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 unnnies

unnnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

I was able to get into the BIOS and I went to the hard drive test but it said the diognostic was not supported and that there is no IDE device. So I guess I'm SOL. :thumbsup: Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users