Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Administrator/user Type Accounts In Me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

The tenant's association for my apartment building decided that we needed a computer lab for all the tenants. They designated me (in absentia!) as the official "volunteer" tech guy. No real problem there, but I have a bit of a problem.

The association secured three used computers (they even swindled me out of my old PC!). Two of the computers run NT based Windows (XP and 2000). The third runs ME.

What I want to do is set up the ME computer so that only certain persons (such as myself) can change settings. I want to emulate the Administrator and Limited User (or, better yet, Guest) account types from XP/2000. Can this be done?

No hack is too egregious, no registry tweak too attrocious. The only thing I'm not willing (or able) to do is to purchase software (freeware is okay, though)

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

I have just what you are looking for, Core Control. It will give you the same abilities and "Limited User" in NT, W2k, or XP. You can lock out drives, controls, the ability to install software. I used it on my kids computer to stop them from installing everything on the net, when they were using ME. You will have a password that is effective. You will not be able to just hit "ESC" to circumvent it.
I hope that is what you were looking for. It is also list in the Freeware list.

Edited by acklan, 10 April 2007 - 11:12 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

Thanls, Aklan! Sounds perfect! I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow. For now, me is too sleepy. Need sleep...

Zzzzzzz

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:49 AM

Ahhh! Works like a charm!

That in combination with M$'s Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP and I have two of the three computers locked down.

Now, any suggestions for Windows 2000?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

What do you need. You can set the limited account and restrict access to almost anything.
Oh and by the way, you should set your computer to boot only to the hard drive, password the BIOS and put a padlock on the case. We all know of programs you can boot to change passwords and the would defeat the purpose of securing the OS would it not.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Way ahead of you! All three PC's boot from the HDD, the BIOS are password protected and the cases are locked! :thumbsup:

I found the predecessor to the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP, the Public Access Computer Security Tool from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which will work on WIndows 2000. Problem solved.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users