Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adawaresepersonal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cade

cade

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:17 PM

hi,

i've installed the adawaresepersonal tool, but when i start scanning a message pops up and shuts down the computer. i have read in another self help topic about cws doing this, so i have installed and run the tools to remove cws as advised, but i am still not able to scan with adaware. does anyone know of any other malwares that will stop adaware? if there are too many to list, what can i do? any help is much appreciated.

cheers,

cade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:54 PM

Hi cade and welcome.

You mentioned that a message pops up and shuts down the computer. Could you tell us what that message says?

Try running AdAware in Safe Mode, that may work.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 cade

cade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

thanks for the welcolm leurgy,

the message says...

"the system is shutting down. please save all work in progress and log off. any unsaved changes will be lost. this was initiated by nt authority/system.

time before shutdown 00:00:00

the system must shut down. the dcom server process launder service has terminated unexpectedly".

this happens even when it's in safe mode, ie the general tab in configuration has the safe mode with a green check.

what do you think?

c

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:48 PM

Open Ad-Aware SE and click on the gear icon. Open the Tweak tab and then click on Scanning Engine. UNCHECK "Unload recognized process and modules during scan".

See if will complete a scan for you that way.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:48 PM

You definitely have some spyware on there.

When I say safe mode I mean a way to boot your computer that uses a minimum of processes. I'm pretty sure you won't have DCom running in safe mode, and you can run AdAware without triggering the shutdown. This is a ploy used by some spyware programs to save themselves from oblivion. :thumbsup:

Take a look at this site. It has some tips and tricks concerning XP. Look at the section titled "How to Access Safe Mode" and try that. Run AdAware when you get there and I think you will have more success.

Post back and let us know how you made out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 cade

cade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:58 AM

ok,

i've tried both ideas...

when i ran in safe mode the same problem occured.

when i unchecked the "unload recognized process and modules during scan" the scan worked, but when i try to quarantine the bugs my virus scanner (mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0.0) comes up with a virus scan alert with the details of...

application - ad-aware.exe
detected as - adware b-b
type - adware
name - 404848

and seems to not allow adaware to quarantine, the programme freezes.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:38 AM

If McAfee recognizes it I don't see why it won't remove it during a scan. Have you tried that? Open your virus scanner and go to properties and make sure it is set up as shown here.

You could disconnect your internet connection, shut down McAfee and scan again with AdAware.

You may be able to find this in Add/Remove programs as Bargains. You can try uninstalling from there but you cant be sure it will work. When you do that these types of programs often come back.

Let us know how you make out.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:38 AM

This actually looks like its associated with a worm trying to do a dcom exploit on your machine and crashing lass.exe or rpc. If this is XP, enable the firewall built into it. INstructions can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-configure-windows-xp-firewall/

Once that is enabled the rebooting should stop and you can move forward with cleaning your computer. Also go and visit www.windowsupdate.com and update all the critical updates. You are having this problem because your computer is not properly updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users