Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix For Ad-aware Se Users With Isp/error Retrieving Update Issues


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

    Bleepin' Janitor


  • Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

The problems with ISP/Error Retrieving Update issues has now been fixed.

The problem produces the Ad-Aware SE warning: "Error retrieving updates" when performing a webupdate. It interrupts at 5% download completion .
( If your update stalls at another point than at 5 %, your problem stems from another issue.
See http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=1336 )

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=8253

If your not having the problem described above, then you do no have to do anything.
.
.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

  • Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

I've been having that problem too, but it seems to be fixed.

My work-around was simply going to their site, download the update file, then put it in the Ad-Aware folder. When I load it up, it updates it to the newer file definitions.

[Update]
I just now did an update on two computers, and I am now seeing something very unsettling, in a way.

I use PeerGuardian 2, and I've used it for about 2 years now, and I've been using Ad-Aware for a bit longer, and now when I check for updates, and then begin to download the updates, my PeerGuardian 2 is blocking Google Inc from connecting to the destination ip address 72.14.253.91:80. And it is indeed coming from using the Ad-Aware update. No doubt or question about that part. And a fact is, Google was never reported/blocked whenever I updated the Ad-Aware... but now it does.

And it's blocking Microsoft Corp from connecting to ip address 207.46.28.93:1863

And it's blocking Microsoft Corp from connecting to HTTP ip address 65.54.227.143:3544

[Another Update]
The ip addresses are indeed Google Inc. & Microsoft Corp

My PeerGuardian 2 blocked their connections, and still I got the updates I needed. I'm going to have some partners of mine investigate this.

I've used both programs long enough to know what will get blocked, if any, when I update a program, and those blocks were never ever being blocked when updating Ad-Aware.

I'll definitely have to research this more.

Edited by Walkman, 10 April 2007 - 01:42 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users