Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux (to Hd)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Danvds3

Danvds3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

I'll start by saying I don't know much about linux, but over the past 2 days, I've learnt a lot. I've tried the live cd version of "Mandriva One Linux" - Now on the desktop, there is a shortcut called "Live Install". Can this installer set up a dual boot, also it includes a partition program in the setup itself. Will this partition program keep my files safe and keep XP seperate??? :flowers:

I need a little guide to help me (Linux.org is too out-of-date) Can anyone help? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Firstly, it can set up dual boot. And if you know what you're doing it will keep all your XP files safe and seperate. Check out this guide: http://distroguide.box.sk/index.php/Mandriva

Hope that helps, if not I or someone else will probably be able to find another guide. Just use google, I found quite a few.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#3 Danvds3

Danvds3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the guide, it cleared up some things for me.

I've created partitions using "GPartEd" Live CD because it was aparently better than the likes of Mandriva's Built-in partitioner.

I'm just making some backups (gone through 2 gigs of files so far!) and i'll be well on my way to my first ever HDD booted linux!

Now all I need to sort out, is this stupid belkin wireless g usb dongle! Linux is too out of mainstream, If only the world new more about this amazing OS, maybe we could get more out of it (i.e games, technology etc.)

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:05 PM

If only the world new more about this amazing OS, maybe we could get more out of it (i.e games, technology etc.)

The thing I tell people is: "You weren't born knowing how to use Windows, you had to learn it"
Now the choice is "Do you want to learn Linux?"
The hardest part is geting people to even try Linux because of the stigma associated with it.
Linux has come a long way in a short time and can be a wonderful experience if it's
actually used. The GUI is user friendly and the amount of free software to replace
Windows programs is mind numbing.
And while I agree there aren't near as many games for Linux as MS there are still a lot and
they do include some really great titles.
Here's a link to the top 10 "Free" Linux games:
http://techgage.com/article/top_10_free_linux_games
And as always: http://linuxgames.com

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

Linux is too out of mainstream, If only the world new more about this amazing OS, maybe we could get more out of it (i.e games, technology etc.)

Linux can be fairly mainstream. Many commercial servers run Linux OS's. RedHat and Fedora Core are very mainstream User OS's along with Debian and Ubuntu(and it's descendants) and Mandravia, LinSpire, and the list goes on and on.

There is a reason why Linux is not full mainstream its one of its greatest commercial hindrances and one of its greatest selling points. Its Open Source!

Linux is actually a more powerful OS than Windows. It can do much more with much less system requirements than Windows. As for the games and tech consider using an Windows emulator like WINE to play your favorite games or VMWare to make that dongle(??) connect to the Internet using Windows as a bridge.

A little rant but not much of one.

BTW check out SourceForge for some killer App's and games for Linux (and windows). Also see the Free games section here at BC many of them will run on Linux.

this post was written on my Windows Laptop (The only PC in my house w/o a linux distro on it)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 15 April 2007 - 10:09 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

Linux is actually a more powerful OS than Windows. It can do much more with much less system requirements than Windows. As for the games and tech consider

Well, "power" depends on the needs of the user. Linux is definitely more flexible.

One of Linux's weaknesses in the games department, comes from a lack of a unified development tool set. I'm speaking of DirectX. It combines the joystick (DirectInput), graphics (Direct3D), sound (DirectSound), and networking (DirectPlay) APIs, and provides an easy to use, "one for all" tool kit for developing a game.

With Linux, you either develop for Wine, and get half-hearted support, or you learn a dozen different APIs, and try to find a good set of development tools.

Linux needs a DirectX alternative.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users