Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Blade Broken

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 smoky

smoky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:49 AM

Hi,I have a little problem,actually I need information about the fan that is broken,don't know what to ask for when going to buy a new one and I don't want to take it off by myself.Stupid question,I know,but,what can I say...thanks :thumbsup:
The fan is marked with a yellow circle.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Measure the fan's dimensions with a metric ruler. Typically they come in increments of 10mm (50, 60, etc) with 80, 90, and 120 being the most common. Fans on the CPU cooler (as yours is) may be smaller.

Since it's an Arctic Cooling fan, you may be able to find the model number and check the Arctic Cooling website for the size there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 smoky

smoky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:14 AM

Now I'm confused.The big fan is Arctic Cooling,I can see that,but the little one,just a bit under it is the one I need to replace,the one that has Abit written on it.I don't know what is it called,is it the processor cooler,or what?

Edited by smoky, 10 April 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

I think s/he is talking about the motherboard fan. Usually you can order them from the manufacturer. Contact Abit.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:10 AM

Most likely the ABit fan is cooling your chipset. A lot depends on how the chipset fan is connected to the chipset cooler. If it's just one unit, then you'll also have to replace the thermal transfer stuff between the cooler and the chipset.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

On a side note...you need to clean out the accumulated dust, this effecta its ability to cool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

Chipset fan. Those are a dime a dozen on newegg.com.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 smoky

smoky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:35 AM

Thank you!About the dust,what is the best way to clean it?And do I need to take everything off to clean it because I've tried to clean the components but it's difficult to reach every little corner inside of the computer.
Oh,I forgot to say that ever since that blade broke off the computer makes a different noise then before,is it because of the fan or is it something else?

Edited by smoky, 11 April 2007 - 03:37 AM.

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:08 AM

I would think the noise is from the fan, as for the dust, get a can of compressed air. You can get it at just about any place that sells electronics. (Walmart, Best Buy, Office Depot, Etc.) Unplug your computer, blow out the dust, use a pencil or something to keep the fan from turning when you blow it out. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#10 smoky

smoky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:49 AM

I've been browsing the forum and found a lot of posts about overheating.Since my fan is missing a blade,is it gonna affect the temperature in that way that I should worry?I've installed Everest and here's what it said about the temperature so please tell me is it ok:
Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name Abit AT7 / KD7 / KR7 / KV7 / KX7 / SA7 / SD7 Series

Temperatures
Motherboard 52 C (126 F)
CPU 42 C (108 F)
Seagate ST380011A 33 C (91 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1241 RPM
Chassis 4821 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.66 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.08 V
+12 V 11.92 V
+5 V Standby 4.92 V
VBAT Battery 2.98 V
DIMM 2.64 V
AGP 1.54 V

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

The fan won't be as efficient as it should be. Later, maybe much later, it could fail
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

The noise you hear is the Fan being unbalanced. Your Temps seem fairly decent so I wouldnt fret about the fan too much.

Posted Image

#13 smoky

smoky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

Thank you all :flowers: very much! :thumbsup:

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

On the other hand,

an unbalanced fan will cause uneven wear on the shaft and bearings.

It will continue to get worse, and louder, and slower.

You'll be getting less and less air flow - translates to cooling - so I would suggest replacing it before this happens.

Just my OTOH.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 smoky

smoky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

I will replace it,but I just wanted to know can I use my computer with no worries until I buy a new fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users