Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcpromgr.exe Ended

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 this_underscore

this_underscore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

For a while now, my computer (Windows XP SP 2 OS) has been very slow on startup, to the point where it takes at least 5 minutes for a program like Internet Explorer to respond after I open it. Under the Processes tab in the task manager, two processes (svchost.exe and mcpromgr.exe) were shown to be alternately consuming between 75,000 and 100,000 K in memory, with usage of CP units above 95. As soon as the usage of memory in these two processes went down, Internet Explorer would finally respond and everything would be fine. So I decided to end both processes. It felt like a mistake right away, and sure enough, after researching them on the internet, I found that mcpromgr.exe at least should not have been ended. Neither process is anywhere near as CPU-dominant now, System Idle Process is, and I generally feel like I've done nothing but make things worse. What I would like to do is restore things to the way they were and deal with the slow-startup problem more intelligently, but I'm not even sure if that's the best approach. Help will be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Mcpromgr.exe is part of MacAfee. Would you happen to have more than one antivirus program running at one time?
Windows has a known issue that causes the Svchost.exe to max out to 100%

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/m....exe-17188.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q927891
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 this_underscore

this_underscore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:48 AM