Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build-dead

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

New build here:
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU
Thermatake Tsunami case
ATI Radeon 1650 Pro GPU
Patriot PC2 6400 2Gb DDR2 RAM

Will try be as accurate as possible on this problem, can anyone please help?

Powered up, all 3 fans working properly (2 case, 1 cpu cooler), case system power and reset switches functioning properly

Had k/board and mouse issue while system was posting, could not input anything from k/board
Exchanged both k/board and mouse with known good units (USB interfaces, plugged into USB ports on MOBO)

Still no response from any k/board input

Powered down system, unplugged line cord from PSU and attempted to clear CMOS as described in MOBO manual by shorting 2 pins just to the rt. of the CMOS battery.

Powered back up, now there is no display at all, red LED next to case power switch is now displaying 2 flashes with a pause between the display, I am assuming this would be a code 2 display? Also, I am unable to control the system from both power and reset switches, the only way to turn it off is with the PSU switch

Attempted to once again clear the CMOS, this time by physically removing the battery for a minute or so.
Once again system powered down and PSU line cord unplugged

Still a blank screen, led flashing a code 2 (?) power and reset switches do not respond.

I do not have any speakers hooked up yet, was attempting 1st system boot and ran into this situation

This where I am at right now, any help/suggestions?

:thumbsup:

Just thought of something here having to do with no k/board input, initially was using my wireless k/board and mouse. 1 lead from the receiver is USB, the other is PS/2, not sure which is for the mouse or k/board.

Could it be that because the bios is not set up yet that the MOBO USB port is not recognized yet?, hence the problems with no k/board input?

The second k/board-mouse that I used was all via USB ports, again USB ports not bring recognized?

This may just be some unrelated ramblings that's going thru my mind, not advanced enough yet to be sure...
:huh:

Edited by newbie in hawaii, 10 April 2007 - 02:24 AM.

"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Re-seat all of your cards and memory modules.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:26 AM

Re-seat all of your cards and memory modules.

Will do acklan and get back to you, Thanks........ :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 Village Drunk

Village Drunk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

Have you enabled usb support for the keyboard in the bios? Is the memory the correct type and speed for the motherboard? What harddrive is installed and interface is it?
Are you gonna drink that?

#5 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:58 AM

Have you enabled usb support for the keyboard in the bios? Is the memory the correct type and speed for the motherboard? What harddrive is installed and interface is it?

I have not gotten far enough yet in the bios setup to enable USB support, can't even input anything at this time from a keyboard.

This is why I suspect that I will have to use a PC/2 k/board-mouse setup

RAM is Patriot PC2 6400 2 GB (PDC22G6400ELK) DDR2 800 PC Kit installed in MOBO slots 1&2
Hard Drives are WD Caviar SE16 (2X250 gB and 1X500 gB), SATA interface
So far as I know, this RAM is correct for this MOBO

Thanks for the response! :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

Use a PS2 keyboard and mouse when setting up - USB is sorta flakey with some BIOS's.

Check the jumper (that you used to clear the CMOS) to ensure that it's back in the correct postion (them little buggers are hard to see!)

And, as Acklan has suggested, double/triple check all of the connections. I've been building PC's for years now and hadn't had one that booted without having to fix a connection problem (finally had one last week - but that's another story! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Use a PS2 keyboard and mouse when setting up - USB is sorta flakey with some BIOS's.

Check the jumper (that you used to clear the CMOS) to ensure that it's back in the correct postion (them little buggers are hard to see!)

And, as Acklan has suggested, double/triple check all of the connections. I've been building PC's for years now and hadn't had one that booted without having to fix a connection problem (finally had one last week - but that's another story! :huh:

Will do usama,
Gotta look and see if I can locate a PS/2 keyboard/mouse around here, somehow I thought USB might be a problem when I could not input anything at all. Should of stopped there to analyze the situation instead of clearing the CMOS, which, opened a can of worms...........
Pertaining to jumping the CMOS. in this MOBO I used one of the jumpers that came with one of the hard drives. Gigabyte does not provide one.
Connections will be scrutinized again, sometimes, as you well know, problems like this are caused by the most obvious checks. But, as in my haste........obvious things are overlooked...........human nature, I guess, along with inexperience.
Kudos to those who responded, this is a super forum........... :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#8 Village Drunk

Village Drunk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

I've built a few computers myself and it's easy to overlook something. If after you reseat GPU card and memory and double check all conections and it still won't fire up, you can tear it all down and start from square one. I've had to do this a few times myself. Check your documentation from your GPU card and see if there are any specific bios settings that may need some attention.
Are you gonna drink that?

#9 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

I've built a few computers myself and it's easy to overlook something. If after you reseat GPU card and memory and double check all conections and it still won't fire up, you can tear it all down and start from square one. I've had to do this a few times myself. Check your documentation from your GPU card and see if there are any specific bios settings that may need some attention.

:huh:
Well for those who care, I narrowed the problem down to the MOBO. I have been in contact with Gigabytes tech. dept., they agree also.
After checking and reseating all cards, disconnecting everything to the board (except for power, cooling fans, audio and k/board), there was still no peep at all from the MOBO. Even swapped out the CPU with a known good one,( I hope it's still good)........nothing.......
Good folks @ Newegg gonna RMA it and even ship a replacement back to me via FedEx 2-day.....what a deal!
Sure beats UPS ground, that would take 5 days to get here! :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:30 PM

Sure we care. Nice to see you may have solved it.

#11 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:55 AM

Sure we care. Nice to see you may have solved it.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind response, it does help, this is a super forum. Will keep you good people posted once I get it up and running....
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:48 AM

Anytime brother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic