Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counter Spy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

I gave up on getting Spyware Doctor to work. There must have been an update that Microsoft did that I installed that is keeping it from working properly. Finally got it all the way uninstalled (no traces left :huh:

I downloaded Counter Spy (have used it in the past) as a replacement but got an error that Windows Defender had turned off. Error code is 0x800106b5

I started Windows Defender and it stopped half way through a scan and said it was off and that I would manually have to restart it or restart Vista.

I don't know if there has been much of a comparison between the two. Would I do better to leave Windows Defender not open and use Counter Spy or should I dump Counter Spy and look further for some assitance on malware and spyware.

Does anyone have any other software on their machine that is working properly?? Let me know. Thanks!

JazzMahn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

I personally would choose Webroot SpySweeper. That is the only 'certified for Vista' antispyware program I know of that works without problems and error messages. Its not free, but it does the trick!
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

Kim Kommando has a special on her site offering two years for the price of one. It is $39.95 but if it is the only Vista Certified program, I am going to get it. Windows Defender didn't like Counter Spy.

Thanks for the reply. I've already removed Counter Spy from my system.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

I have Webroot Antispyware plus Anti-virus. It works beautifully....but I don't have Windows defender running! :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

Jacee,

I can understand that. I suppose Windows Defender does help in looking for malware and spyware but I don't think it is well enough developed to be of much assistance. I know you can turn it off. If it doesn't conflict with Spy Sweeper, I will probably keep it on. Otherwise, I will turn off Windows Defender!

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

For what it is worth -

I believe that both Sunbelt Software's CounterSpy and Microsoft Defender have their roots in Giant Software's Anti-spyware program and for a while both were using the same spyware pattern file database.

Either one running as your real time spyware protection should be OK, but no matter what you use as your primary, you still should conduct frequent scans using some other anti-spyware programs, too. No one program is 100% effective.

Just my fwiw.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

John you're right. I also have SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. They're free and both work with Vista too.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html
Spyware Guard is a real-time malware scanner
SpywareBlaster tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Usi...ware-tut49.html
SpywareGuard tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Usi...kers-tut50.html

How much protection is too much protection? I don't know the answer to that, but non of these apps have conflits with each other or Vista.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users