Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Requirements For Vista?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hi,
I'm getting very excited about Vista and have a concern about it. :huh:
Will my computer run smootly (like fast and stable) in Windows Vista Home Premium:

HP Pavilion a1520n
AMD Althlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz, 960 MB of RAM
250 GB Hard Drive

Will it have enough speed to run Vista beyond, or will it lag when I upgrade to Vista :huh:
Thanks to anyone who replis :huh:
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

I'll be interested in what others say, too, but from what I've read -

on an identically configured PC (or a dual boot system),

and with proper XP and Vista drivers, running the equivalent versions of the two OS's - like XP Media Center Edition and Vista Premium - you may find Vista to be a little slower or a little faster than XP. Usually, a little slower over all, but the efficiency of the drivers may make a difference, too.

Most reviews I've read point out that Vista will make good use of additional RAM, too, so you may want to add more to your system, but I'd wait until you get to test it yourself on your system. Also, don't forget, Vista can use certain USB flash drives that are Ready Boost capable to somewhat increase system RAM, too, so that might enable you to test out the effective speed increase of additional RAM.

That's my take.

Edited by JohnWho, 09 April 2007 - 08:54 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Thank you (again, before you also took my case :huh: )

Well, I was checking the Microsoft recommended system requirments and found that I just made it :huh: . Does that mean ny computer will not be a lag for some cases or slow????

#4 S31Ender

S31Ender

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

You'll be fine.

Microsoft says the minimum RAM is 512MB but I think you'll find that most people will agree the minimum SHOULD be listed as 1gb.
512mb just doesn't do it. It's so slow and it feels like it gets in it's own way. lol.

1024 MB is what you have but your integrated graphics are stealing about 64 MB of it. I think you'll find it runs just fine.
However, because of the demand the OS is putting on your memory, it's not going to run quite as well as XP in your case (I have 2gb of RAM an it runs just as well as XP because 2 gigs is a little overkill).
You may want to look into the following.

Getting a 512mb stick of ram
If you have the money get a 1gb stick of ram. That will give you 2 gigs total and you'll be supergolden. hehe.

If you don't boost your ram up to 1.5 or 2 gigs, do the following.

Make sure your virtual memory is 1.5 gigs
Get yourself a 1gb flash memory stick that is ReadyBoost capable and attack it to one of your rear USB2 ports. Right click on the icon in your Computer window and select Properties->readyboost.
Tell it to use the stick for ReadyBoost.

However there is no replacement for just plain adding more RAM.

With everything I just said. Understand that your system will run Vista just fine. I'm just a power hog and I like overkill. So the above is not NEEDED.....just I recommend it.
I hope you have fun with your Vista, it's a sweet looking OS and great to show off your machine to your "only" XP buddies. Let them weep in jealousy!

#5 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the recommendation,
I'm happy to know that the amount of RAM I have can run Vista with mostly no problems (no slowdowns) :huh:

Hope you and I have a great Vista experience :huh:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

I ran the betas of Vista on 512 mB of RAM (with my laptop graphics stealing some of that). It ran OK - but I had to tweak it for performance in order to get acceptable performance.

I'm typing this on my Toshiba M45 laptop with 1 gB of RAM (tweaked for performance) and am running Vista Ultimate. While Aero isn't enabled, the system runs quite well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

WOW!
Thanks for the decription. I never believed that a 1gb RAM will never make it alive in Vista Ultimate!!!
However, when you said you configure some tweaks, what kind of tweaks did you make to speed up proformance???

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

1) Disable the Aero interface (if enabled on your system)
2) Set the display settings to as low as possible. Make sure you use the lowest color depth available (I use 16 bit).
3) Set the performance options in the System applet to "adjust for best performance".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

1) Disable the Aero interface (if enabled on your system).

Hey usasma -

Have you had a chance to do any sort of testing on this? I've seen some articles that implied that by using Aero the GPU took more of the video processing away from the CPU, implying that the system might be slightly faster or at least no slower.

I can't really tell any difference on my test notebook system - AMD Turion 64 /2 TL-52, 2 G RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 using 128M of the 2 G.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

My lappy won't run Aero on the release version. I used this technique on a beta version back in June (prior to build 5456) and it helped speed it up. This was back while they were still fighting with video errors in the early builds tho'.

I don't think (but it's just my guess) that the handling of video is that much different between Aero and non-Aero systems - but it takes processing power to enable that Flip-3D stuff, so I'd shy away from it. But, since it's not discernible to you, I'd suspect that it really doesn't matter.

#11 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi,
I was just wondering since I have a logo on my computer that says Vista Capable.
Will that mean my computer will run 2 times as fast as a Vista Capable PC?
It says Vista Capable PC on my computer but my system meets the minimum requirements of a Premium Ready PC.

#12 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

Nevermind,
I have posted a new topic for this issue :huh:
Sorry so worried, tommorow I plan to upgrade :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users