Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Wireless Networking...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Danvds3

Danvds3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

I Tried using my Belkin Wireless Dongle to connect to my WiFi Network. It came up on the Mandriva One Wireless Network List but there were aparently no networks in range. It obviously detected the hardware but couldn't control it.

Is there any piece of software or program that may control it. Belkin have their own software (I think only works for Windows/Mac).

Could it be the fact that I'm running from Live CD? I'll continue to try finding a linux version of belkin dongle manager.

Got any ideas or suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

Linux can be really picky with wifi, most times need just the right hardware to get it working.

How are you sure that it was detected correctly?

#3 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:06 AM

Belkin have their own software (I think only works for Windows...

You could try using the Windows XP drivers in Linux. There is this driver wrapper called NDISWrapper. It allows you to use XP Wifi drivers in Linux. It can be a bit tricky to setup though.

You may need to check the NDISWrapper wiki, and see which version supports your card, and see which version Mandriva has.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#4 Danvds3

Danvds3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:28 AM

Yeah, well at the moment I'm running linux from my ethernet connected computer.

I've already heard of NDISWrapper, and tried it yesterday. Obviously, I forgot to fetch the driver from a connected PC. There is a "Belkin Wireless G USB" in the wiki, which is the exact one I am using. I'll try that when the other computer is free.

I'll either get the disc or fetch the drivers off the net.

I'll keep you guys notified

#5 Danvds3

Danvds3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

OK, that completely didn't work.
I added the new driver using "NDISWrapper"
It came up with some sort of "Firmware" error.

What do I do?

I'm pretty sure that to get the device to even work (Green LED flashing) you need belkin's USB Wireless G Software, this is not available for linux. Is there any alternative????

I also noticed that there is a "Windows Zero Configuration" Function, is there any way to sort of use this feature on linux (i'm using the Mandriva One copy).

Anyone actually got the Belkin Wireless G USB dongle to work with ANY type of linux?

#6 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:02 PM

What was the exact error? If you right-click on the console window, it should allow you to copy the text.

As for Alternatives to Belkin's software, here are a few links. I use Xandros, and I have used Ubuntu, but its been years since I used Mandrake 7.2. I don't know exactly what tools Mandriva uses these days.

http://www.brunolinux.com/08+-WiFi/Configu...rol_Center.html
^- Updated Feb 26, 2007.

http://linuxfornewbies.org/forum/index.php?topic=3.msg3
^- Updated Dec 25, 2005.

According to a few sites, it is located in the DrakConf utility, or the "Mandriva Control Center", under Networks - > Wireless -> Manual.

I know that Xandros, and Ubuntu have very nice configuration tools, to get NDISwrapper to work. If they are simple.

Edited by Monster_user, 10 April 2007 - 11:03 PM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users