Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible To Pre-designate Several Download Folders?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi, I'm Win XP Home and with AOL, and just wonder if all downloads have to go into the same folder?
I play e-mail games with people and when they send me their file it auto-downloads into just one[i] pre-designated folder.
That means all different files get mixed up in there and I have to rummage through them to fish out the one I want.
Is there any way to pre-designate several download folders into which games will auto-download at the click of a single button, for example all the Risk files could download into a Risk folder, and Civilisation files into a Civilisation folder, and Combat Mission files into a Combat Mission folder?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

I would create whatever number of new folders you want and name them appropietly(?) and then direct the download to that specific folder. What browser do you use?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Hellish

Hellish

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

Already stated he/she uses AOL, and personal opinion, AOL blows

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

Yes, the only AOL option is "Specify a folder for auto-downloading", and everything gets dumped into just that one folder.
I just wondered if there's a similar option in XP but which allows several separate download locations
to be specified..

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

No such option that I know of in XP - it's an all or nothing deal (either one folder, or specify the location for each and every one).

I'd suspect that you could write a filter to do this for you - but that's so far beyond my abilities that I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how complicated it would be to do this!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

Already stated he/she uses AOL, and personal opinion, AOL blows

Goes to show you what I know about AOL. Never seen it and never used it :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

Wow, I didn't think people actually still used AOL.

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

I've only ever been with AOL since I first went on the net in 2002 so I don't know if other servers are better or worse. But if there's one thing about AOL I definitely don't like is their use of Indian personnel (in India) to handle techy enquiries, its a bleddy nightmare trying to understand their foreign accents, I've complained to AOL about it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users