Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, Help, Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 N320AW

N320AW

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hello from a new guy on the block. A very frustrated one I might add. Someone here said they were going to shoot themselves because of XP. Well, I wouldn't go that far, however this computer and XP are coming close to getting a .44 slug! Sure could use some help here.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Home. Had it for 3 years with DSL. I think the operating system needs some serious " tweaking." Here is my basic problem list that began anywhere from 3 days ago and some a year ago. Please bear with me. I will try to make it simple and straight-forward:

1. Sometimes when I click on something nothing happens for 2-3 minutes. Also, sometimes cursor just stops doing anything. Will not move for a couple of minutes.

2. Sometimes (see above) screen WILL NOT roll up or down for 2-3 minutes.

3. Internet Explorer 7 opening VERY SLOW. Several minutes!

4. Recently AUTOPLAY box just pops up and runs for a couple of minutes. Cannot delete/cancel it. Ya know, the box with the flashlight going back and forth.

5. I have seen the box that says, " This program is not responding " a lot lately. I click END PROGRAM and it finally does after several minutes!

6. Long time problem here. When I START/RUN/MSCONFIG/OK . . . a box pops up that says Windows cannot find MSCONFIG. Also, if I click on Help & Support from start box the same box pops up saying the same thing. Then it tells me to go to Help &Support to solve problem! What a joke that is.

My system seems to browse okay. Maybe a bit slow then sometimes faster. Never know.

I have the following on my system that I use quite often to check for problems:

Lavasoft AdAware
3B Registry Pro
Disk cleanup
SpeedUp Extreme
SpeedUp my PC
Spybot
Spywae Begone
Nortin Anti-Virus and protection center

Interestingly, The two " speed up " programs DO seem to help a little. So does running 3B Registry Pro and Lavasoft. They, however, are not the answer to the above problems. I have read many tweak things concerning XP and have done some, but those are not helping these problems.

Now if I just had Bill Gates & Michael Dell sitting here with me . . . maybe they could get THEIR products working correctly.

Guy . . . all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I'd buy you all a steak dinner if possible.

I look forward to your ideas.

Art

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

The biggest problem is that you like to tweak too much.

Registry tools are great for destroying your computer. They sound great:
We'll speed up your computer by removing all those unnecessary and no
longer useful entries that clog up your computer.

In reality, the programs present you with a lot of things that they say are
no longer in use, and once you remove them the computer dies a bad death
because some of those things were necessary.

I equally mistrust speedup tools. And you're using two of them. This presupposes
that Microsoft has no idea what they're doing. There are a number of things that you
can do manually to speed up your computer, but most of them take knowledge. You
can edit the registry (not recommended) and you can cut down on bells and whistles.

You can shut down some startup programs that you don't need. But since MSCONFIG
doesn't work, that's not going to help you much.

Based on that, I suspect that you are infected. Having a blocked MSCONFIG or a blanked
out Control Panel are often caused by software that does not want you to be able to turn
it off.

Not so long ago, Spyware Begone was listed on Spyware Warrior's site as rogue spyware
because of false positives and overhyped incentives to buy. It has been removed from
the list because the authors tried to fix it up a bit, but I still wouldn't want it.

Personally, if my computer was running like yours and was several years old, I would probably
reinstall the operating system from scratch, along with whatever programs I needed. That's
really the only safe way to get a reasonably clean registry. This requires good backups -
including such things as your bookmarks and emails and anything else you don't want to lose.

However, if you don't think that's possible or feasible, the other thing you can do is post a
Hijackthis! log in our Hijack forum. This will help to find out if you're infected and with what, and
help you get cleaned up. If you choose to post a log, please read this first. And be patient - there
are a lot of logs and few helpers. Do not reply to your own post because they look first for posts
with no replies.

#3 N320AW

N320AW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

Thanks HERK. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. Will advise results.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

Agree with Herk. Changing away from Norton anivirus program possible?
Avast and AVG take up little resources.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=886

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users