Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 morello

morello

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:55 AM

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help.
I recently loaded a hidden file recovery prog, that identified several large files in my temp internet folder (IE5), that I would like to permenantly delete.
I have tried one or two 'washing' progs but nothing seems to be able to delete them. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:12 PM

Hi morello, welcome to BC.

What is the name of the "hidden file recovery program"? I probably shouldn't comment on it until I know but I have a feeling that it is unnecessary. You can easily set Windows to show hidden files manually. Please see our tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=62

I'm assuming that the large hidden files you're referring to are index.dat. Without getting into too much of an explaination about them, they are part of the sehll extention of Windows which makes them system files and thus are normally hidden. Temporary Internet Files (TIF) (which has a subdirectory called Content IE 5 by default) and cookies folders along with some other folders mainly that deal with your internet cache will have index.dat files which are just a list (index) of the files contained in that folder. Index.dat's get big because they don't clear the list when you delete the cache like they should be.

Index.dat's are not easy to delete in XP or 2000 because they are considered in use. There are ways to delete them but it is a hassle. Some "cleaners" will delete them and others won't. And most of those that do are shareware. My favorite freeware utility that will delete index.dat files along with cache and other unnecessary files is System Securiy Suite. Once it's installed and you double-click its shortcut, it will open on the Items to Clear tab. What is checkmarked already under that tab is safe to delete and should be deleted fairly often.

For more extensive use of 3S, by using the "User Defined Folders", see this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...owtopic=820&hl=
but a word of caution--3S doesn't make backups, so if you use the "User Defined Folders" function, be sure that you know what you are deleting is safe to delete.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users