Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntuser.dat Vs Ntuser.log Vs. Ntuser.dat.log

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 don_s

don_s

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hi there...

I was redirected here from the HiJackThis forum where I was getting help cleaning up an infection.

The infection is now clean, but I've found that a new file has appeared in my C:\documents and settings folder...

Up until a few days before my infection I used to find an "NTUSER.DAT" file and a "ntuser.LOG" file in my \docs and settings folders. Since this infection began, the "ntuser.LOG" file has disappeared and "ntuser.dat.LOG" has shown up in its place.

Does anyone here know what this is? Or have any thoughts on it? Apparently it's appearance doesn't have anything to do with the infection I just recovered from.

One other thing: whereas the old "ntuser.log" could be deleted, and disappeared after reboot, the new "ntuser.dat.LOG" file cannot be deleted (I know that you can never delete the "NTUSER.DAT" file). Moreover, the file size on this ".dat.LOG" file fluctuates (grows) as long as the machine is running... "ntuser.LOG" has disappeared entirely.

I'm confused, and would appreciate any insight anyone here has.

Thanks a million.
D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users