Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboards:intel Or Asus, Cpu:intel Or Amd ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

Would Everyone please share his opinion about the best motherboard and the best CPU from his point of view and u can mention the Video cards too.thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by Wassim, 09 April 2007 - 10:48 AM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

This is a much bigger and complicated topic that it may at first seem. Which processor and graphics card, and especially which motherboard, is the best depends very much on the specific situation in which they will be used.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

well lets say as performace in general.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

Not to appear difficult, but that's still too general. Performance for CAD is different than performance for gamers is different than performance for internet/home media users.

Do you want good onboard audio, or is good integrated graphics what you are after?

Do you want it to be able to support the highest RAM speeds?

Do you want to eventually run SLI/Crossfire with DX10 cards? (They are large and take up a lot of space)

Do you want a dual-core processor? Quad-core?

Are all of your devices IDE? Or do you have all SATA devices?

This is all necessary info, and only a part of what you need to know.

As Mr Alpha was alluding to, choosing "which is best" depends largely on what you want it to be best for. :thumbsup:

Regards,
bg04

Edited by blueandgold04, 09 April 2007 - 02:13 PM.

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

And,

it gets even worse -

whatever one determines as the best,

may only hold that title for a short period of time

as newer chips and chipsets are introduced.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

You need to start by finding out what features you need. After that you can start looking for performance based on your budget. The most powerful processor on the market would be the Core 2 Extreme QX6800, but it would be the wrong choice 99% of the time.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

well what i am tryin to say is that u can do a gaming pc using the latest Intel board with their latest CPU and a high Nvidia card or u could go for the latest in Asus and Amd and ATI video card so wish to chose.
So lets say i wanna build a very powerfull gaming pc with a big budget. what do u recommend?
(of course if i want it for surfing the net and using microsoft office i would had gone for smthg very cheap and chose manufacturers that no one have ever heard off)

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Frankly, it's all about research. If you want the best, then you've gotta do the research to see what'll fit your needs. The fastest processor is no good unless it's got other fast hardware to work with. Then there's the issue of it working with the programs that you want to use. If the program can't take advantage of the hardware - then you're just "throwing your money down the well".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Well i looked at Mr Alpha PC and i liked it. i did the calculation how much doin one like it will cost me here(Lebanon) and i ended up in a cost about 2000 $ for hardware only.
Does it cost that much there?
Good for us that here we have no rules to protect software piracy so we basilcy never pay for a windows OS or any other software and operating systems.i got my Windows Vista Ultimate for 2000 Lebanese Pounds wish is equal to 1.25 $ :D:D and it came cracked :D

(if u wanna have a look how much PC hardware cost here u can go to www.pcandparts.com and add 10% to all the prices u see;) )

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Go to http://www.newegg.com or http://www.pricegrabber.com to see the US prices.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

i took the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor - Retail as sample and compared its price.it cost in US about 170$ according to http://www.newegg.com while here it costs 320$. i guess if i order them from US to LEbanon it will still be cheaper from buying it from here.: :thumbsup:

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

Unfortunately, ordering it from the US will incur all sorts of beaurocratic hassles. An example, I sent an outdated computer to South Africa as a donation. The computer wasn't worth more than $50 US - the South African duty was $400 (US). So much for charitable donations!

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:18 AM

Ahh... we are talking gaming PC! That helps things along wonderfully. There is a big difference between a good gaming PC and, say, a good Photoshop PC.

Don't be too dedicated in following my machine. It was built a few years ago and the market has changed. Whether to choose AMD or Intel at the moments depends much on what kind of budget you are dealing with. Also Intel will lower their prices later this month, which might be worth waiting for.

#14 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

well let me rephrase what i meant from the begening.as quality of product and reliability and quality of chips whos better?? i hope this is not a big and vague question too.

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

The quality of both AMD and Intel processors is excellent.

When it comes to motherboards the situation is much more complicated, and varies very much between chipsets and even specific models.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users