Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Windows File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 orlandob

orlandob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:49 AM

Hi
(Windows Xp Pro Edition)
I am not a techie, so I may not use the correct terms, so please bear with me, but I found a virus on my laptop and then ran bitedender, which couldn't disinfect so deleted the infection. Now when I log in to windows it says that this file could not be found/run. The file name does not mean anything to me at all. My computer then says my system as experiened a serious error, so presume what I am missing is something vital.

The file name is

C:windows\system32\owbggafrxt\services.exe

so what do I do now? please help, your guiadance will be much appreciated.

Orlandob

Edited by orlandob, 09 April 2007 - 04:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:55 AM

Go to the Start button the to Run. type in sfc /scannow and press enter. you will need your Windows CD, Recovery CD, or Installation CD depending on what brand computer you need. Just be prepared to insert the CD when prompted.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 orlandob

orlandob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:04 AM

wow that was quick

Hi, my father gave me this laptop, and windows etc was already installed, so I dont have any windows cd's . I will email him now to see if he has them.
From what you are saying I gather having the cd's is the only way to fix this?

regards
Orlandob

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:08 AM

That is the only way to use sfc.
You could go to System Tools and use the System Restore and briing the computer to a point brfore you ran bitdefender.

#5 orlandob

orlandob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

Hi

just heard there is a recovery disc, but I wont have it for a few days.

When I get the disc and run as you said in your earlier reply - is there anything esle I should know or do when it is running? will it be straight forward, anything I need to look out for.

Thanks

Orlandob

#6 orlandob

orlandob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

ok , will try to find out if there are any wndows cd's. Tried the system restore, but for an unexplained reason it had switched it self off so have no restore points to go back to.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:24 AM

Good news about the CDs. It is straight forward.
Turn SR back on. I will monitor this topic for future replies.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

The C:windows\system32\owbggafrxt\services.exe is likely the remnants of a virus that haven't been completely removed. What the computer is telling you is that it can't find the virus to start running it (that's a good thing). That can be fixed fairly easily - but start with Acklan's recommendations first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users