Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Setup + Sata Drives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:12 AM

Any thoughts as to why Windows Setup does not detect a SATA drive, when BIOS does? Windows itself does recognize the drive when the OS is installed on another (IDE) drive and the machine is booted up.

Pretty weird stuff.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:38 AM

Drivers. The BIOS can detect that it's there, but doesn't need to write to it. Windows needs drivers to access a SATA drive, you can install third party drivers during the install process by pressing F6 when prompted.

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

I thought you only needed a 3rd party driver for RAID or SCSI. But then, so far, I've always had my OS on an IDE HD.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

I think you're right..

Me brain need sleep...

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

Windows XP doesn't have any built in SATA drivers and so does not know how to communicate with the SATA drive. Windows needs drivers for transparent communication with any hardware. The BIOS doesn't use any drivers at all, it only provides a interface for communicating with the firmware, and since every motherboard has an unique BIOS the motherboard makers don't have to worry about transparent communication. Without drivers there would need to be a different version of windows for every hardware combination out there. So Amazing Andrew was correct in his first response.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

The trick is, when asked for the RAID/SCSI drivers during the installation of XP - you've gotta insert the SATA driver disk then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jasonbird

jasonbird

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hi there,
I was thinking about starting a new thread for my problem, but this one is very close. I have a Dell dimension 8300 and about month or so ago, when it boots up, i get a message about sata drive not detected.I have to press F1 to go past it. It never did this before and i have made no chages to the system at all. Am i missing a driver? I don't even know what a sata drive is, and i don't know if i have one!!LOL . can i download it from dell website??

Thanks for any advice!!

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users