Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Try Linux Without Messing Up Settings Of Xp?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:22 AM

Since joining here, I've read about Linux and I wouldn't mind having a play with it. I understand that I can run it from a CD or do a dual installation, but will it hijack or change anything on my computer which will stop it working or which will be difficult to figure out how to get back the way it is now? (I don't mind playing and not getting it to work, but I don't want to mess up what I do have....) Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaydee

Jaydee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

If you use a live cd you have nothing to worry about. It will not do anything to your installed os. If you install linux to your hard drive you will have to partition the hard drive first and then install linux to that partition. I would just try knoppix live cd first to see how you like linux. It has everthing you need to get started with learning. I have linux and windows on my laptop. I used to knoppix cd and went on from there.

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:28 AM

If you use a live cd you have nothing to worry about. It will not do anything to your installed os.

Thanks, will it leave my printer and firefox and everything else alone, too?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:50 AM

If you have at least 256MB of RAM the Live Linux flavors can boot to a RAM Drive and burn all data to CD\DVD without even touching your hard drive. You can even use it on a computer without a hard drive.

I like Puppy Linux Multi-Session for this type of operation. I can use it on any computer (almost) and not worry about changing the computer data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks. I have 512MB ram on here - I'll have a look at the puppy site.

#6 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

If you use a live cd you have nothing to worry about. It will not do anything to your installed os.

Thanks, will it leave my printer and firefox and everything else alone, too?

Your Printer, and Firefox settings will not be touched by ANY Linux distro. Each distro has its own Printer, and Firefox settings. Which are kept separate.

Linux installs onto a separate "partition". If Windows could read it, it would show up as another hard drive (D:\. or G:\, etc...). So aside from shrinking the Windows C: drive (Which carries a 2% chance of erasing Windows), Linux and Windows never touch.

Puppy Linux will not affect your data, and will run faster than Knoppix, but it won't give you the full impression of Linux.

Try the Distro test.
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

Thanks

So aside from shrinking the Windows C: drive (Which carries a 2% chance of erasing Windows), Linux and Windows never touch.

Is it just the "shrinking" process which might erase Windows that you are referring to? That's just Windows you are talking about, not all of the other stuff that's on the computer? Can I put Linux on my external hard drive and run it from there? (Sorry for all of the questions - I like to find out what's going on before I do anything...)

#8 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

moving or resizing the partitions always carries some risk. And it would delete everything on that drive it it failed.

If your computer supports booting from USB, you may be able to run Linux from that HD. Not something I have personally done, nor would really suggest.

If all you want to do is just see how it works and get a feel for things, I would really suggest just using a Live CD. I prefer Knoppix.

#9 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

check this out. you can run linux and windows at the same time.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#10 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

I have recently tried Puppy Linux as a result of reading the forums here. Like you I was nervous that it would stuff up my window setting.

I had absolutely no problems what so ever - printer, firefox the whole lot works.

Edited by The Gorilla, 09 April 2007 - 05:17 PM.

#11 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:14 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try out Puppy (The site is easy to understand - the author's teaching background is obvious - and I like the dog :thumbsup:). Thanks Gorilla, that's reassuring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users