Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Direction Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

I'm over hauling my computer and deciding to optimize airflow, organization, etc. My heatsink's fan is blowing air on the CPU while theres a fan only a few inches from it on the case thats sucking air out of the case. There are 2 fans to the side of the CPU (also on the case) that create a circle, the bottom one blows and the top one sucks (because heat rises). There is also a fan on the very top of my case (in between my DVD burner and the PSU) that blows air out (because, again, heat rises). There is also a fan on the northbridge (right next to the CPU, still within range of the case fan blowing out and the circular flow of the back case fans.) thats blowing on the heatsink. I want to know if I should have the northbidge and CPU fans blowing on the heatsinks or sucking hot air away?

Bad attempt at a diagram. (all directions are relative to your view, which is looking at it on the side with the front facing you.) This is with the side off, with it on, there is a fan located about between the northbridge and CPU fan.
Posted Image

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

You won't optimize it much, if any, if you reverse/change the flow of the air streams. Each fan has been tested in every direction for heat control and air flow control. If your computer is fine, then doing an over haul isn't bad at all, but never go tampering with the setup of your fans, you could make your computer over-heat. If your computer is over heating, then you may have a few issues, but if it isn't, I'd scratch off the fan manipulations from my list.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

i built this system myself so there was no air collaboration, I just stuck fans in the case, lol. Now, after 5 years of being hot, i think It's time I change it up a bit. It's not overheating, its just hot and I'm planning on overclocking my system, so I want some coolage.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

There are people out there that are getting paid very well to make studies on issues that leave me thinking that they have way too much time on their hands, one of these studies was on fans and case air flow. It seems that the general consensus is that the air flow should come from the front and exit the rear, and the prime objective is a even pressure at both ends promoting a consistent flow.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

Cpu, GPU, and north bridge fans should suck air away from said devices

It cant get too much better unless you run a bigger fan

BTW what hot mean to you? and if your planning on overclocking go with a high performance CPU heatsink and fan to help cool it down

Posted Image

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

Alright, they were blowing (generally) hot air on to the heatsinks and I figured that was backwards.

And by hot, I mean, the average temp of my case is 90+. Though I did notice a significant drop when I changed the back fans to a circular motion. With them just blowing air in it was ~98 and the way they are now, its ~92. So I'm hoping to get it below 90. I'll put the fans their respective directions and post back with the average results.

And overclocking, I'm not going too much, just maybe .5 or .6 GHz, though I probably don't even need it.
(Fahrenheit, of course.)

Edited by TheYoda, 09 April 2007 - 11:34 AM.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

I had a reply to this thread that I may have accidentally closed out.

But I do remember typing this much.. and it was...

You seem to be very knowledgeable about computers and what you're doing..... and when you said you had your computer built years ago by yourself, (5 years)... and it still runs?..... that tells me that the fans are not a question. Because if any fan was the issue, your computer would have quit years ago. No question about that part either.

I just think that upgrading and over-hauling is all you should concentrate on, and not the fans. Five years now?.... those fans are, and have been doing their job very well.

Edited by Walkman, 09 April 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure. I just got a new video card and it takes up more room. The last one (the 9800) was low profile, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't gunna cause an obstruction for things to overheat. I just figured I'd do something with it while I waited for the delivery. And I also added another 80GB backup harddrive so the case will probably tend to be a little hotter with a 3rd harddrive in it.

Speaking of which, I had it running playing BF2142 for an hour or so and my case stayed at a steady 88.6 degrees. I can also feel the fan on the side blowing out a lot more air and its warm, so from my observation, it's working better. It might have something to do with it being a little cooler out than normal, but none-the-less. It works :flowers:

Thanks to all for any and all input. :thumbsup:

Walkman: Thanks! This video card is the last upgrade I'm doing for this system. After I get some more money, I'm building another system and this one will probably go in my den and I'll put XP MC on it and put in a 500+GB harddrive in it and use it to record TV shows.

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

Awe..... now you're teasing!!! :thumbsup:

That's cool. I'm just glad you decided to not break what isn't broken.

Your computer must be so cool, it leaves a breeze everywhere it goes!!

Fix'em up, then load'em up!

Keep up the good computer work. you strike me as a very dedicated person to his computer. And that's good too. You know it, and know when something is wrong with it. and you do know there is nothing wrong with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users