Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Desktop Help.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tyroto411

tyroto411

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

When I try to put a desktop picture on the desktop it will not show up. Also when I try to put up a desktop from my control panel it will not show up. What the heck happened?!?!?!?!? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

Use the method Control Panel/ Display/ Desktop Tab.
Then click on the Browse button if want to choose a picture that is saved to your HD. Open that file, click Okay.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

I have tried that and it won't let me select anything.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

In Control Panel/ Display/ Desktop tab, click on Customize Desktop, and then click on the Web tab. You will see that there are checkmarks next to "My Current Home Page" and probably "Lock Desktop Items".
Uncheck these. Click Apply and Okay when you've made your changes.

Is the computer virus/malware-free?

If the above fails, try the Micro$oft Method :
Options to Change Wallpaper May be Missing or Unavailable.

The above article modifies the Registry. It is a good idea to Back Up The Registry before making any changes to it.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

I cannot tell for sure from your posts if you have any desktop picture up now. There are several causes for this problem -

1. you have been hit with adware or spyware that puts a blank desktop on your computer. It is really web content and not a background. To get rid of it so that you can see your desktop, move your mouse cursor to the very top of the screen, right-click and choose "properties" and then choose the "Desktop" tab and then press the "Customize Desktop" button. Then click the "Web" tab. You should only see a choice for "My Current Home Page." If there is other content in there that you do not recognize, highlight it and click Delete.

2. You have removed spyware and it has left behind a registry entry that will not allow you to change the desktop. In that case, see this.

If you do not feel comfortable working in the registry, please let someone more experienced do it. Before making registry changes, it's a good idea to back up your registry first. Read and understand how to back up and restore the Windows Registry from This Microsoft Web Page.

3. Someone has restricted your rights to change the desktop. If this is the case, contact your computer administrator. If it's your personal computer, ignore this.

4. You've got some malware on the system preventing the change. If that turns out to be the case, let us know you're still having problems and we'll tell you what to do next.

#6 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Herk you are a big help, it's all back to normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users