Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does This Mean?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ditzy

ditzy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:03 AM

When someone pings your computer, what does that mean? :thumbsup: Is it harmless or harmful?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

When you ping a computer you are sending special packets to the other computer and then asking for a reply. With this you can determine how fast your connection is to the computer your pinging or even if the machine is on.

By itself pings do not cause any harm, but they do allow a remote user to determine if your computer is connected to the internet or not. Then they can try to learn more information about your computer with port scanning

#3 ditzy

ditzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:15 AM

Thanks Grinler.

But.....

By itself pings do not cause any harm, but they do allow a remote user to determine if your computer is connected to the internet or not. Then they can try to learn more information about your computer with port scanning

.....this means they are prying into what I do online, right? Is that illegal?

Oh, by the way, I didn't introduce myself. As you can tell by my name, I'm a tad ditzy when it comes to computers. Through another website, I found out about this one. So, yeah, cool.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:53 AM

Pleasure to meet you Ditzy :thumbsup: Welcome to BC

It is not illegal to ping another computer, but as you say, can be used to gather information about whether or not you are online. It is therefore wise to use a firewall that blocks pings so that this can not happen. Almost all firewalls will block pings by default

#5 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

Things change so fast that this may not be accurate any more. But it used to be that a lot of the pings were your dialup ISP checking connection to be sure it was still active.

#6 ditzy

ditzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

Hey

Received an email regarding someone responding to this thread. BUT, there is no latest post. :thumbsup:
Was it deleted? If so, why? :flowers:

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:11 PM

Pleasure to meet you Ditzy :thumbsup: Welcome to BC

It is not illegal to ping another computer, but as you say, can be used to gather information about whether or not you are online. It is therefore wise to use a firewall that blocks pings so that this can not happen. Almost all firewalls will block pings by default

Is this whatn your missing ditzy?

#8 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:33 PM

ditz the board had a glitch and had to be reloaded to a back up so a few posts were lost.

#9 ditzy

ditzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:23 PM

No brunt. :flowers:
Thanks Bluie. :thumbsup:

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

Many tipes of pings even good ones! Your internet provider can use them to check your connection speed! Some are helpfull others are either annoyance or no good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users