Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Media Center 2005 Upgrade To Vista Premium

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

Will my preinstalled programs in Windows Media Center 2005 such as Sonic DigitalMedia Home, Nortons Internet Security 2007 (well not really preinstalled), and my full version Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Ediiton still be in Vista when I upgrade it (Home Premium)?
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

You need to run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. Then you'll know for sure.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

Greetings,

Hi, I contacted Hp about this issue and they said that you will lose all data when upgrading to Vista. I looked at the upgrade adviser and found out that they tell us what programs and application will not work on Vista. This made me confused. One says that (or at least implies that) all programs and applications will be saved such as Nortons 2007 and Microsoft 2003 when upgrading to Vista and the other says that we will lose everything. :huh: . can someone clarify this out for me for I really don't want to lose any of my programs such as Microsoft Office 2003 and Nortons 2007 and even Sonic Digital Media :huh: .

Thanks to anyone who helps me :huh:

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hey phoenix_124 -

How are you performing the upgrade?

Specifically, is this one of those "express upgrades" that you are getting when you recently bought a system with XP and you were promised the Vista upgrade once Vista was released?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

Hi,
Thanks for replying :huh: .

I recently boughy a HP Windows XP media center 2005 Computer and qualifyed for the HP Express Upgrade to Vista meaning I will get both a HP driver DVD and Windows Vista Home Premium. I began to start reasearching on Vista to see what awaits me, and also the problems I might encountor. This is one of them. I was thinking that my applicaiants and programs will still be there when I upgrade to Vista (didn't upgrade yet). I started to study about that. In Microsoft's website, I found that it said the I believe it said that your appliciants will be retained when upgrading to WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER 2005 to VISTA HOME PREMIUM. However, HP told me that all data will be loss :huh: . Did anyone upgraded to Vista using the upgrade paths and their applicatoins were still there once upgraded to Vista???

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the additional info, phoenix_124.

I got the Express Upgrade to Vista Premium when I bought a Gateway, so I'm not sure the upgrade methodology will be the same for you with your HP.

With my Express Upgrade, I can either:

1. Install the upgrade "over" the existing XP MCE. I'm warned, as you've mentioned, that I should run Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (and do additional research) to determine what software and hardware problems I may encounter.

2. Run a "Custom" upgrade which will re-format my HD and install a clean version of Vista Premium.

3. Run a "Custom" upgrade and install Vista Premium in a second partition on my HD, keeping my existing copy of XP Media Center Edition.

Additionally, I was sent the Windows Vista Premium "upgrade" CD and a second CD labelled "Vista Drivers and Applications". From what I can tell by browsing this second CD, besides the obviously required video, audio, lan, etc. drivers, it includes Vista capable versions of the various software packages that were bundled with the XP MCE package, such as MS Works, MS Office Trial (which I won't load), McAfee Anti-Virus (which I won't install), etc.

So, if HP provides you a similar upgrade proceedure, you should have all of the same programs that were pre-installed on your Windows XP system, unless a particular program is not Vista capable. Hopefully, in that case, they'll provide you with an equivalent Vista program, although I'm not sure that they would absolutely be required to do so.

Hope this helps. Maybe somebody who has already gone through this HP Express Upgrade system can provide more specific info.

#7 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

Great!
That is a great amount of info that I was looking for. THe last question is will the non-preinstalled programs such as MS office 2003 (full, came in CD. Worked for 3 computers though, and I'm third :huh: ) Will my non-preinstalled programs still be there when I upgrade to Vista Home Premium? Did yours?

#8 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

Sorry,
I'm just confusing myself.

When you say the first option, does that mean that it will just change your OS but retain your programs, appliciants, and non-preinstalled programs???

Sorry, I'm very worried about my programs... My parents will kill me if I have to buy another CD key for MS office 2003 :huh:

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Yes, if you do the "in-place" upgrade, all the existing programs and data remains in place. The problem, though, is some may not be compatible with Vista, and cause problems that possibly could put you in a situation where you'll have to re-install everything.

Do you have the CD for MS Office 2003? Do you still have the CD key? If so, you should be able to re-install it on Vista.

I would suggest you wait until your get your upgrade disks, and then plan your strategy from there. You certainly could uninstall all the programs that you know are not Vista compatible and then try the in-place upgrade and install all the Vista drivers. If that gives you problems, you could then try the fresh install.

Most important - backup or copy any data files. You need to protect them before you do any of the upgrades.

Of course, we should all be backing up our data frequently, anyway.

#10 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Thank you for telling me that,
However, I do have the CD key for MS office 2003, but it can only work for 3 computers. I'm just worried if I upgrade to Vista and something goes wrong with MS Office 2003, I don't know if I can reinstall it again since my family used up the 3 computer licence... :huh:

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

I believe you'll still be installing it only on the third PC, so you should be OK.

#12 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

:huh: OK thank you for your assistance JohnWho :huh:

It was fun working with you and my questions are completely answered :huh:

Have a nice day (and if you are in where I live) and a joyful easter!!! :huh:

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Glad to be of help - that's what the board is here for.

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users