Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting Loop In Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jomax

jomax

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:48 AM

Can someone out there offer some help please??

i have a dual boot pc with win 98se and win xp. I can access win 98se no problems at all. However, win xp is stuck in a continuous rebooting loop. If i F8 to access other options, safe mode, etc the machine still reboots.

Any idea, please??

I have tried using Recovery Console to do a 'repair' installation, but that failed. I have tried reinstalling xp a fresh on a formatted partition, bu the installation fails at the drvindex.inf stage, then an error message comes on screen, telling me that setup cannot access the cd??? I have checked my setup cd for the file 'drvindex.inf' and it appears to be there. So at this stage, it appears that I cannot repair xp or install a fresh copy on another partition!!!!!!!!!! Messed up alround I fear.

Any ideas, can I repair xp via 98e or are the two softwares not interchangeable?? I feel that when I am logged into 98se and I am looking at the files on xp, that I am doing just that, looking at them, but unable to manipulate them, is this right?

Please help, this is driving me mad, and has been doing so for the past 6 weeks????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

I had a video driver do that to me once. I installed a XP driver on a W2k system and it just keep rebooting. I put an old video card in to break the cycle and it allowed me to install the correct driver.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jomax

jomax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

Thank you for your reply. I wasnt aware of installing any new drivers on XP. My video/graphics card has been in the machine for a while now. And appears to be working fine on 98se. Surely if a new driver had been installed I would have been aware of the fact.

Basically, what happended was i was on the internet and my husband, wanted to log on, so he logged me off and tried to log himself on, but it only loaded the bottom task bar, and said that an error had occured and that 'chkdsk' needed to be run. I did this through dos and it found errors, which it said could be repaired using /r on the next reboot. This I did, it said that it had fixed the errors and that the machine needed to reboot, this i again did. And that brings me back to where I am now, a continuous reboot in XP!!

#4 jomax

jomax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

I have just looked through the i386 files on my xp cd and there is a file there called driver.cab which is a really big file. I have tried to unzip it and it tells me that the file is corrupt, could this be the reason, why i cannot reinstall win xp on another partition and why the cd will not repair the existing xp??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users