Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover A Deleted File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:48 AM

I have inadvertantly deleted a personal file (containing data and pictures files) from my laptop.
I tried to use recovery programs to recover at least the pictures. I have recovered some of the files
containing the pictures, but cannot open these pictures .
When trying to open each picture (of the recovered ones) I've got the following note:
"Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, ot its format is not currently supported"

I checked the System Restore and found that a restore point is available to the date prior the delete.
Can System Restore recover the deleted file?

Note: The file was installed on the Desktop (before being deleted).
I am using Windows XP Pro

Thanks for your assitance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:22 AM

The restore point may work for you, or it may not. Persoanlly, that's a tough call, because you risk erasing the deleted version where you can't retrieve it, and you risk the possibility that the restore point won't work, and at the same time, erased any possible chance of you recovering what was accidentally deleted.

If possible, the best way you is to hook the hard drive in question to another computer as the slave. And then use the other computer to get the data off, because you stand the risk of that sector of the hard drive to be over-written with data if you add/install a program to the computer. It's not always true.. but that risk still exists.

If you don't have access to another computer then you'll want to use a few FREE ones that are out there. Look in the Commercial FREEWare forum here on this site. Sorry, I forget the link right off hand.

But whatever you do, don't keep deleting and (or) modifying the hard drive if you want your data back. By all means, just download what you need, and do as less installing/deleting on that computer as possible.

And then again, if you feel that the Restore Point will bring back the data, then all I can say is go for it. But remember to weigh out your odds, no matter which route you take.

a. connect the hard drive to another computer, and do it that way (safest known method)
b. install a program(s) on the computer in question, and run it from there (risk/a workable method)
c. Use the Windows Restore Point (risk/a workable method)

Edited by Walkman, 08 April 2007 - 04:30 AM.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:30 AM

AS per walkman's advise here is the link Free Handy programs

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:46 AM

Try Restoration. I find it very good at undeleting files.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

System restore does not make any change to user files or folders, so it will not be of much assistance.
I would check the file type and file associations of the restored pictures. Were these all originally bitmaps or were they jpegs?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

Thanks to you all for your prompt answers and for your time.
Since its a laptop I connected an external USB HD to it, ran Restoration program and save
the "deleted Files" found to this external HD.
I couldn't find any file name but "individual" items (including pictures).
When I open pictures with .jpegs, I got the same window as mentioned above (my previous thread).
Opening a picture with GIF I got a window "Can't determine type"
The pictures on the deleted files were jpeg ones.

According to the files recovered it seems that some data has been lost.
Many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users