Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'launch System Restore'?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LazerRed

LazerRed

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:58 AM

In the 'System Configuration Utility' , there is a 'Launch System Restore' button. What does it do? Sorry, I
'search' but did not find anything specfic??? Thanks in advance for any info. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:12 AM

System Restore is a feature that will restore your computer to a point before. An example:

You install a program, and then you find out the program is causing problems,, and then you uninstall it,,, but that doesn't help. When you use the System Restore, it'll restore your computer to the point before you installed the software.

I personally don't use it, and it's mainly because it's limited as to how many times it'll make a restore point for you. In other words.. if you have 100 programs that you want to install,, and after each program you install and then create a restore point, it'll run out of room on your computer before you can make a restore point for everything you install. Other than that, it's probably not bad to use. I guess it's better than nothing at all.

Look on your computer in your Windows Help File, and it'll explain it in more details.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:58 AM

Hi LazerRed

As Walkman explained, System Restore points are made each time you install new software and lots of things make them automatically. They can be a really easy fix if your machine goes haywire. As new ones are made. old ones are automatically deleted once the allocated space is filled.

My machine has about 50 dates with restore points and some of those dates have 4-5, so it is a bit of overkill, but I reckon you are better to have 10 too many than 1 not enough.

If you would like to see what is on your machine, go to START>>All Programs>>accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore. A window will come up giving you the option to restore your system to an earlier time, or to create a new restore point. Choose 'restore your system' and click next. You will see a calendar with bold dates when a point or points has been made. Click on one of those bold dates and you will see one or more named entries.

When you are finished looking, just click on Cancel.

Have fun :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:55 AM

See this BC Tutorial:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

This explains what SR does, and how to use it properly.
It is one of the better Windows utilities, and has saved many a user many long hours of frustration.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 09 April 2007 - 05:53 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 LazerRed

LazerRed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

Thank you all for the valuable info. I'll be asking other questions in the near future as I track down 'options' for eliminating a problem (without creating a whole new problem). :thumbsup:

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

Don't hesitate to ask, especially if another Member's experience or expertise can help you solve a problem----and prevent you from creating an even worse one (we all can speak from experience about THAT)!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

Don't hesitate to ask, especially if another Member's experience or expertise can help you solve a problem----and prevent you from creating an even worse one (we all can speak from experience about THAT)!
Regards,
John

I'm still not finished with having my experiences of computer problem solving. I have them, then I have to work them out. It's a never-ending experience... but very rewarding too. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users