Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Message At Startup...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

I bought this computer at a garage sale for $5, and when I plugged it in, it worked, and is pretty decent, except that whenever I log out or boot the computer, this message pops up saying that my actions may be logged and if you do anything illegal you could be fired (I assume it belonged to some company before they got rid of them, it was a PIII and they probably wanted new ones), and you would have to accept the agreement before the login prompt would apppear. This message is really starting to bug me (makes me feel like people are watching me, creeps me out), so how do I get rid of it? (Please don't answer question in red, mods don't like it...) Running Windows 2000 Professional.

I also want to know how to make the computer automatically log in to my account when it boots, there is no password, and I'm the only user.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by madman6510, 08 April 2007 - 05:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

Sorry, but we cannot help you by-pass security settings. I am not closing this thread at this time because you have asked a second question which does not violate the rules.

Bleeping Computer's Board Rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

Ok, I understand, but, why would it be illegal if you are the owner of the computer?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:19 PM

If you own the computer it is not illegal, but since there is no way to confirm that you are the legal owner of the computer we assume you are not. After all if you are the Administrator you should be able to disable the settings you described.
It has nothing to do with like or dislike. What you asked in your first question violate the board policy and will not be tolerated.
If you truly are the owner and legally posses that computer and the copy of Windows 2000 Pro it came with you could do a clean install and remove all of the previous owners data, and settings. You do have your copy of the disks?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

Here is the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article describing how to AutoLogon to Windows 2000 Pro.

WARNING!! This procedure modifies your registry. Backup your registry before you proceed. If you damage your registry you may have to re-install Windows.
I recommend the ERUNT Registry Backup Utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584

Edited by acklan, 08 April 2007 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users