Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Integrated Gfx Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

Okay, so I'm not a huge computer tech guy, but I have a Dell 1550 Laptop, and it's fairly new, with a bunch of ram and whatnot. So my problem is that it came with a INTEGRATED GFX CARD, probably the worst card that a laptop can come with. Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade it somehow...? Someone told me you can't do that with laptops, but my computer barely runs Counter-strike 1.6 and it's really annoying. I want to start playing games like Battlefield 2 and whatnot, and I want to invest in a better card...

Anyway this is possible? Any services that can replace my card...?

Thanks

-Don :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

99% of cases you can't upgrade integrated graphics in laptops. We had a discussion about it here, where you can find both the troubles with doing so and possible work-arounds.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

Damn, that really sucks, wish I can run BF2 on my comp :thumbsup:

Anyone know if it's possible if I turn my settings down on BF2 if it'll run?

Here's my stats:

Manufacturer:
Dell Inc.
Processor:
Genuine Intel® CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
1014MB RAM
Hard Drive:
94 GB Total
Video Card:
Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
SigmaTel Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Boss QuietComfort 2
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050622-1524)

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

Possibly. I think on all low settings and maybe cranked down to 800x600 settings you could play it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

Well heres the thing. I think I'm gonna try to download the demo and try it, but will I be able to run the game first and get to the settings? Cus I remember I installed Half Life 2 once and I couldn't even get to the main screen to even try to lower the settings. So how would I do that then...?

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

If you set everything to the lowest possible settings to play a game during setup and it won't play, then you're not going to be able to play the game, let alone load it up to make the changes.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

Also, I notice a lot of games pre set graphic settings based on your graphics cards ability.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Um, I'm trying to remember back when I played the BF2 demo. I think you should be able to change the graphic settings.

However, I'm not sure how it works on weaker computers (even I have to lower the graphic settings to get it to run at a constant and smooth rate), but I'm pretty sure it takes some power to run, especially a fair bit of RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users