Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypted Files..help Pls

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 killahurtz

killahurtz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey everyone,
I encrypted some avi files months ago. Before I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, I moved all files to an external hard drive. Now I cannot play any of those encrypted files with media player. I can't delete or move them. I can't decrypt them either. This is the message I get:

'Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.'

Does anyone have a solution? I tried a few things I read on the internet but none worked. Oh yeah, the name of the files are highlighted in green.....I guess its an indicator that the files are encrypted. Please help me. Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killahurtz

killahurtz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

Bad news I guess.....I installed Advanced EFS Data Recovery 1.0. When I ran the program it identified the files as not decryptable. Is this the end or is there some other solution?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

What did you use to encrypt the files with? Any specific program?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 quadcore78

quadcore78

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Sorry to resurrect this topic from April but I'm having the same identical problem. I have a bunch of files highlighted green after my reinstall that I don't have access to. I don't think I used a special program to encrypt with.. just standard windows xp pro service. Like hidding the files.

I moved all the files to my Maxtor onetouch4 500gig external drive in one cut and paste effort, and I'de say about 40% of the files are highlighted green. The other files are regular black, which work perfectly. The files that do not play are .avi files... either divx, xvid, etc.

I really don't know what's going on here. Help!?!!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

You can try this:
Take ownership of a file or folder
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 quadcore78

quadcore78

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

I've tried that, but with no success. Any other tips?

I have some very large and valuable vids sitting on this external that just wasting space as I cannot even delete them. It's like their corrupt but the correct file sizes are still showing up...as well as the other 50% of vids that do work. I don't wanna give up on this.

Thanks again.

#7 quadcore78

quadcore78

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

Something I should add...

When I copyed my files to the external it asked me if I was sure I wanted to move the read-only files. It asked me lots of times and I just clicked 'yes'.

I was unaware of the phenomina it would bring about. So... is there any chance of recovery of such stupidity?

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:56 AM

I've heard (though I've never tested this) that files encrypted with Windows built in encryption utility must be decrypted by the same user with the same password that initially encrypted them.

If you aren't using the same username & password combination on this new install, try changing your username or password (as appropriate) to the combo you used at the last time you were able to access them. Then try to access/decrypt them.

This is one of the reasons I avoid using the encryption feature of NTFS: it's actually too good! I would recommend using TrueCrypt in the future.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:33 AM

If you used EFS to encrypt these files, then recovery may be possible. This google search will start you off in the right direction: http://www.google.com/search?q=recover+enc...lient=firefox-a
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users