Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Computer - Locked Out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hey everyone!
Well, my dad got sick of his Windows ME computer (it liked to shut down and not boot back up every once in a while...), so he bought a new Windows Vista computer from Wal*Mart.
When we got it home, he booted it up and lo and behold it wants a password (username is Walmart).

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! I am glad to give out information as needed.
-Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

Glunn,
Do you have the Vista installation CD with you?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

Sounds like he purchased a used/display model. Some more information would be appreciated, such as the make and model of the computer.

If the purchase is an HP or Compaq, restoring should be easy.

Just press the F11 key when the computer first starts, and you should be taken into system recovery.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

Glunn,
Do you have the Vista installation CD with you?

Yes, I do.
BUT whatever happened, they only had the Windows CD in it, not any CDs for the hardware that came with it.

Edited by Glunn11, 07 April 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Sounds like he purchased a used/display model. Some more information would be appreciated, such as the make and model of the computer.

If the purchase is an HP or Compaq, restoring should be easy.

Just press the F11 key when the computer first starts, and you should be taken into system recovery.

EDIT: We're returning the computer. We called up Wal-Mart and we're getting a refund. Whoever sold it to us is in BIG trouble for putting it out :D

Thanks for your guys' quick response! Then again, the last time I needed help my helper was halfway around the world so it took a good day for each response to be answered lol.

Edited by Glunn11, 07 April 2007 - 04:25 PM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

For your info, HPand compaq do not include recovery CDs/DVDs. Also, the disk that is included is not a true OS disk, is is only used to upgrade vista to a more expensive version.

In my opinion, the first thing you do when you get the new computer should be:

Make the restore disks.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users