Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Plays Too Fast Help !

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

i think this might have to do with the xp codec pack i downloaded. thats the only thing i ever did to windows media player.

i think it plays alright offline, BUT

it plays too fast when viewing online video. voices sound like the chipmunks. this is NOT funny.

i want to ROLL BACK to codec or something. went to add/remove programs and DELETED the xp codec pack. restarted and STILL is not good. im afraid to to a system restore because i dont want to loose anything i did or things that i moved to different folders. i dont know if it will make things unorganized again.

i give up. i am out of ideas. i just installed windows media player 9 (even though i already have it). i deleted the codec pack. i restarted. i tried turning video acceleration off. i cant even do a system restore if i wanted to. it will only let me restore to yesterday. maybe because i am almost out of hard drive space and there might not be room to store info for a system restore.

well i got it to work in VLC media player. i right clicked the video, properties, copied the url, and pasted it in VLC. vlc has never let me down.

Edited by Mr_Freeware, 07 April 2007 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

If you suspect a codec pack as the culprit, here is what I would do.

First, you'll need to have a program that can monitor your installations, and show you a log. I'm sure there are FREE ones out there.

1. Run the monitor program
2. Install the codec pack again.
3. Stop the monitoring after the install is complete.
4. Uninstall the codec pack
5. Open the install log and see everything that the codec pack installed
6. Then use the log to manually check the folders and registry entries, and delete anything you find from the log.

Other than that, you may need to use a registry cleaner. Below are 2 good programs I use. The 1st one is the most basic, and to the point cleaner. Use that one 1st.

I must advise you that using any registry cleaners can cause more problems than you already have if you don't know what you're doing. But I've yet to experience such a problem.

Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list.

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE product, I'm listing it because the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

#3 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

i think the registry cleaner migh of worked. so far so good. thank you.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

If I might step in on this topic, I have a similar problem but it's only when viewing videos at places like cnn.com and msnbc.com. It happens in Firefox and Internet Explorer. I click the video link. A new window pops up. I wait for it to "load" and then it's the chipmunks problem.

I am using XP Home, Sp2 with all updates current. I have not "installed" WMP. It's on my computer and will ask if I want to install it, if I use the right click-open with WMP. I always say no. Instead I use the Media Player Classic that came with the XP Codec Pack. I used the default install for the XP Codec Pack...there may have been a couple of options unticked in the default. I haven't tried looking at it again and reinstalling it, making sure everything ticked.

Most of my media opens in Media Player Classic by default (off line) or I'll specifically choose it using right click when I'm online. (I use the Launchy extension in FF when online. There have been problems in FF messing up the download options when setting "always do this" so that's why I do it manually with launchy.)

I do not have any QT or Realtime installed...full or alternatives. The XP Codec pack and whatever codecs came installed with Windows are the only codecs I've knowingly installed.

I've been reading a bit about this and found that the formats used at places like cnn and msnbc are podcast, which has problems with flash. (I don't really understand it, but podcast and flash came up a lot.) There was something about reducing the hardware acceleration level. Tried that. Didn't work for me. I tried updating my C-Media on board sound drivers. Didn't work.

I have two broken codecs listed in Codec Sniper:
Direct Show MPEG2 Sections and Tables %systemroot%\system32\mpeg2data.cx
Audio Codec C:\WINDOWS\system32\alf2cd.acm msacm.alf2cd

I have not removed them yet. I've seen recommendations to reinstall Direct X for the first one. Didn't get any hits on google for the second one that made any sense to me.

It's not a deal breaker for me to fix this, since all my other media needs work just fine. But I don't like loose ends. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users