Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin NIC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DynoDon

DynoDon

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

I’ve got a new Belkin “high speed” G NIC part number F5D7001 installed in a Wxp Pro machine that works fine as long as anyone is logged in with admin privileges. When logged in with User privileges only the card doesn’t work. By that I mean the “radio” is off. What Belkin means by that is the card is off and won’t transmit or receive. Anyway I can check the radio box but it has no affect.

I spoke to Belkin support and they say there’s nothing wrong with the card. They say the problem is that I have a service running that shouldn’t be or not running that should. What service might that be? :thumbsup:

BTW All updates installed including sp2.

Thanks much in advance.

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:08 PM

I've heard of similar problems. Have you tried installing the software under the user account? Is there an option to install the card/software for All Users?
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#3 DynoDon

DynoDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

The install sequence was: Login as Admin, install and configure, all ok. Login as the normal user which has admin rights all ok. Login as the user with only user rights, no workie.

What I can do, and have tried to no avail, is to login as the user, right click on the config icon and click on “run as” which allows me to run it as an administrator. No help here either. However it just occurred to me that this might be clue as to what service I’m looking for.

BTW Belkin was completely useless with respect which service it might be.

What I can’t tell you, and will check, is whether this occurs with WEP on and/or off. Obviously I’d like to end up with it on.

Access to this machine is limited so it might be a few days before I can get back on. All comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

#4 T Robinson

T Robinson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hi. I'm Tim Robinson and this is my first, and probably last, post. I found this thread on Google and I'm only replying because I think I figured out the problem. Hopefully it will be of use to people with the same problem.

I appear to have solved this problem by going to Local Security Policies and adding user groups (e.g. Users, Power Users, etc) to the "Load and unload device drivers" policy. It now works, and I don't think I did anything else to my system. So give it a try.

Comment: It didn't work afterall. I don't know why it was working, but it isn't anymore. Go figure. I have gone back and changed this post. I'd delete it, but I'm hoping to keep this topic alive until somebody solves it.

PS>I realize this thread is very old, but hopefully somebody with the same problem will find this solution.

Tim Robinson

keywords: "can't access" "can't connect" Belkin F5D7001 Administrator Admin "all users" "other users" "non-admin"

Edited by T Robinson, 19 January 2006 - 06:49 AM.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

once again, the power of google!!!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:00 PM

I'd call Belkin back and ask them "What service" or "What kind of service".

You can find services running on your system by going to Start...Run...and typing in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter.

Don't start messing with them until you're sure of what to do! You can export a list of services using the menu at the top of the applet - then post it here and we can make suggestions based on what we're familiar with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 schmikli

schmikli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

Dynodon. I've got the same card, and the problems you described are familiar to me when I had the F5D7000. I had two of them and I could not get connected as normal user either.
The problem you mention however is solved with the drivers I received with the f5d7001. Although the stupid drivers are USA drivers ( can not use channel 12 and 13), both cards work with retricted user now. But it still is a strange card. The way I insert them in both pc's makes the antenna pointing downwards !

So update the drivers and it should be solved. But....after you uninstall the old drivers, first go to config, system, hardware, hardware management (? I think), click on the plus sign next to the network adapters and look if some installations are left behind. To make sure you see everything, click on 'display' (third main menu-option anyway, I'm not surehow it's called in the English version), and click on 'show hidden hardware' or something like that. Everything associated to the Belkin you can see must be uninstalled manually (you'll be surprized how much stays behind......) by right clicking on it and confirm the removal.

Than install the beta drivers like you nomrally would from.. ftp://supportbelkin.no-ip.org/networking/. They are the latest, though beta but they work as well. If you do not trust them, download the latest approved drivers from their normal support site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users