Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Help.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

I got this old, and I mean REALLY old PC Chips M920 Mobo, and I'm looking for some kind of help onto finding the correct ram, I went to crucial.com and they told me about

1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module CT12864Z335
* Module Size: 1GB
* Package: 184-pin DIMM
* Feature: DDR PC2700
* Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64
for about a hundred bucks...

now, I was talking to my friend, and he said, all I needed to care about was "PC2100" and the size of ram I want.

Any suggestions?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 April 2007 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

I tend to disagree with your friend, each of the specs is important in differing ways.

First, you'll need to be sure it'll fit in your computer - that's the 184-pin DIMM part.

To further ensure compatibility, you'll need to know if it's DDR or DDR2 (or SODIMM) - although those others won't fit in your slot.

The speed (PC2700, etc) is the speed of the memory. If you've got PC2100 now, then PC2700 will work, but it'll slow down to PC2100 speeds if you use it with PC2100 memory. FWIW - the difference isn't noticeable without specific tests.

DDR333 is another indicator of the speed of the RAM

Further, if you've got non-ECC memory, then you can't use ECC mixed with non-ECC.

The 2.5 volts is necessary if you're adjusting your memory timings in the BIOS. The 128x64 is how the memory is built - and usually isn't a factor for the average user.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

That motherboard has two pairs of expansion slots, the first pair of slots are 168-pin SDRAM DIMM PC133, and the second pair are 184-pin DDR DIMM PC2100. You can run either one, but not both. The should be a jumper on the board to change the expansion slots being used. Each slot has a maximum capacity of 1GB of RAM.

Crucial list that motherboard as being able to us PC2700, PC3200, PC4000. The original specs showed PC2100, and unless I'm mistaken those faster modules listed at Crucial will underclock to the PC2100 speed. The newer faster modules are less expensive and this may be why they suggest these. The bottom line is that if Crucial lists the modules you can count on them being compatible.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hey thanks a lot you guys. But, could I only install one 1gb Stick, or would I have to use double 512Mb sticks?

Edited by JoshT, 07 April 2007 - 11:49 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

You'll only be able to install 1 gB of RAM total - so the combination is up to you. The number of sticks really doesn't matter until you start getting into DDR2 memory.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

You'll only be able to install 1 gB of RAM total - so the combination is up to you. The number of sticks really doesn't matter until you start getting into DDR2 memory.

That motherboard has a maximum capacity of 2GB, 1GB per slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

That motherboard has a maximum capacity of 2GB, 1GB per slot.

we're talking about the 184 Pin DDR right?

because I cannot mix DDR and SDRAM, because the mobo wont allow it.

so I could get a maximum of 2GBs?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

Yes, I made the mistake of reading dc3's post (saying 1 gB) as referring to the total board capacity.

#9 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

So, I can have a max of 2gb ram, for this compy, and the type of ram/memory I will need is PC2700 DDR DIMM 184 Pin?

Should I buy from crucial or newegg?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Yes, the PC2700 will give you the best performance and would be the least expensive of the modules. You ask whether to go with Crucial or Newegg, Crucial is a one of the better manufacturers of RAM and is priced competively to other prominent makers. Newegg is a online parts house with some good deals. The bottom line is to stay with a reputable make and find the best price and go for it. I would suggest not only staying away from cheap RAM, but stay away from value RAM as well.

Did you find out anything regarding the jumper on the motherboard to switch between the expansion slots?

Edited by dc3, 08 April 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#11 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

Errr, no. But I am currently using 184-pin DDR ram (256MB LOL), and so I would think since it is using that type of ram, theres no need for changing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users