Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Questions, One About Internet And The Other About My Sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littlemissclueless

littlemissclueless

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

Ok, the other day, someone gave me a really good desktop. Its Dell Dimension 4600 with a dvd rom and cd burner. It was loaded with viruses, however, and I spent a while reformatting and wiping out everything to make it run like new again. I reinstalled all the drivers, etc. The only thing is, I am still having 2 problems. The first one is that whenever I try to connect to the Internet, I get error message number 711 that says "this computer is not configured to connect you to the internet," or something like that. I went to Microsoft's web page and it said that this happens if you had to reinstall Windows XP Home, then upgraded to XP Pro. It mentioned something about fixing the registry. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I'd appreciate some help with it. Thanks.

Secondly, my speakers were working fine with my other computer, but I can't get any sound out of this one. I'm not sure if I have a sound card installed or not. Can anyone help me get through these hurdles, because I think the computer istself is really good. Thank you so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

Someone else will have to help you with the error message.

For sound-is there a sound card?
Remove the side of the case and check to see if it's firmly in the slot.
No sound is usually an indication that the sound card drivers have not been installed after a format.
If there is a card, do you have the cd that came with it? Yes-install the drivers.
No-find out what brand the card is and post back here with the info.

There are other things to check. Start menu/Control Panel.
Open Sound and Audio Devices.
Volume Tab-Device Volume/Advanced.
Click on OPTIONS/Properties, put a checkmark next to each listing. Click OK. Check to see if anything is muted.
After you've done that, back to OPTIONS, check Advanced Controls.
Look for any boxes that say Advanced in them, open that advanced, and look for 1 Digital Output Only.
If it's checked, uncheck it. If it isn't checked, check it. Click Close.
Now open a player and play a music file or cd-do you have sound?
If not, you will need sound card drivers if the computer does have a sound card.
Onboard sound I know nothing about.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

Go to Device Manager and make sure there are no yellow exclamation points by your audio and network adapters and that they are working properly. A quick look for your specs. shows both are intergrated.
If your unsure of exactley what you have use this tool to find out:
SIW
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 April 2007 - 04:21 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 littlemissclueless

littlemissclueless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

ok, about the sound, there are little yellow question marks in a list, starting with Ethernet Controller. All the others in that list have the same thing. I suppose that means something hasn't been installed, can anyone tell me how to fix it?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

You will need to uninstall and then reinstill the right drivers they should be found here:
Dell
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users